Chapter 8

Lucas

By the time I became aware of what was happening around me again, I was grabbing my coat and running out the front door, Roger yelling after me.

I pulled the jacket on and winced, some new bruises on my arms making themselves known. I didn’t stop walking until I got to the park. It was peaceful and quiet and the perfect place for me to cool down.

I sat down on a swing, holding onto the chains and leaning forward, then closed my eyes. I let out a slow breath then heard someone clear her throat. My head shot up and immediately looked toward the slide.

There was a girl sitting at the very top. I leaned forward a bit, squinting my eyes to see through the dark.

“Well what do you know,” I said with a grin, leaning back. “I didn’t know princesses came to the park.”

Kirsten slid down then slowly walked over to me. “Yeah well,” she stared, sounding very stuck up. After a second she sighed and plopped down on the swing beside me. “my mom kicked me out of the house so her work buddies could come over.”

I smiled. “Harsh.”

She nodded, looking rather annoyed. “What about you?” Her eyes widened. “You do have a house right?”

I narrowed my eyes slightly. “Do I look like a hobo to you?”

She looked at me then bit her lip to hold back a laugh, nodding. “Actually yes, why are you still covered in clay?”

I looked down. Ah crap. I forgot to wash that off. “Yeah, eh, I was busy doing other things then need some air, so I just haven’t gotten around to it.”

She folded both her lips in, trying not to laugh. I sighed. “Is it that bad?” She smiled and nodded. I smirked, agreeing “Yeah, it is.”

I stood up and walked over to the water fountain.

“What are you doing?” she asked, following me.

“Washing some of this off. Here, hold the button down.”

She looked at me like I was a weirdo then held the water fountain button down. I dipped my hands under the water and quickly rubbed the clay off my arms, pulling my jacket back over them, then splashed some on my face, rubbing it off.

She laughed again. “Okay, now you really look like a hobo.”

I turned my head sideways to fake glare at her then splashed some water on her.

“Hey!” She hollered, jumping back, but keeping a finger on the button.

I ducked my head under the flow of water, washing most of the clay out of my hair.

“But it’s true,” she said with a laugh. I lifted up then grinned as I shook my head, shaking the water out. “Ah!” she shrieked as the water splattered all over her.

“That’s not nice!” She smacked my shoulder and I laughed.

“Oh, did that get on you? My bad.” I grabbed different handfuls of hair and quickly rung out as much water as I could.

I looked up and noticed her staring at my eyes. I quickly pushed my hair back over them. “No, leave it.” She said with a slight smile.

I raised an eyebrow at her then pushed it back again. She tilted her head then frowned. “No, no, put it back.”

I pulled my hair back over my eyes, finger combing it so it’d lay right, and smirked to her, waiting for her to change her mind again.

She smiled wide then saw my smirk and immediately looked down. “I know, I’m always changing my mind and I’m difficult to please, sorry.”