Chapter 5

Kirsten

School – Lunchtime

Ashley had been rambling on for the past 15 minutes and I was about to pull my hair out. Feeling bored, I starting to look around and found myself staring at the group of weirdo outcasts. I wasn’t sure why I was staring at them until I saw him.

Lucas stepped to the outside of the group, laughing. I had been staring at the group, waiting to see him. Wow. It was totally just because I was anxious about showing him my drawings. Which I only wanted to do so I could find out what I was going to do for art. Yeah, that’s it.

“Hey Ashley?”

She stopped her rambling and tilted her head. “What?”

“I’m sorry to stop you, but I have something I have to do real quick.”

She put a hand on her hip, looking upset that I wasn’t hanging on her every word. “Well what do you have to do?”

“Nothing, it’s just something I have to do for a project.” I rolled my eyes to make it seem like I was dreading this. “I’m just ready to have it over with. See you later.”

I took off across the courtyard before she could say anything else. By the time I had made it to the group of weirdos, there were only four guys left. The others had wondered away, thankfully. I cleared my throat and the four guys turned to look at me. Lucas smiled for a second then quickly hid it.

I straightened up and shook my hair out of my face then looked to Lucas. “I need to talk to you.”

The other three guys turned to look at Lucas and he raised an eyebrow. “Alright, then talk.”

I rolled my eyes. “Alone.”

The guys laughed and slapped Lucas on the shoulder and back. “Aloooone oooooo” “They’re going to be alone” the guys laughed.

“Shoo,” I said, making the shoo motion with my hands at them. 

They laughed and slowly walked away, mocking me by shooing each other.

Lucas scratched his head then looked to me. “So what do you want?”

“To show you my drawings, duh.” I pulled them out of my bag. “You said you wanted to see them.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, but I meant in class.”

A couple of popular kids walked by and I crossed my arms. “I just wanted to get this out of the way. I don’t even get why we have to do a project in this stupid art class. I just want it done, okay?”

The populars passed and Lucas stared at me for a minute. “Uh, okay, if you’re that worried about it. Let me see.”

I held them out to him and smiled. He started looking through the sketches. “Well,” I said, standing beside him so I could see which one he was looking at, “I actually think they’re pretty good. Really good actually, they’re great. They’re awesome.”

He glanced at me then back, nodding along as I rambled on. “Well, they’re not bad, not horrible. They’re okayish, right? Not half bad.”

He turned and looked at me, grinning. Some populars walked by and I snatched my drawings out of Lucas’s hand. “Give me those.” And they were past. I smiled slightly and rolled my eyes. “Okay, so drawing is out. What’s next?”

He crossed his arms and leaned back. “Are you bi-polar?”

I blinked. “Excuse me?”

“Seriously, because your mood just keeps changing. We’ve only been talking for five minutes and you’ve already had at least four mood swings.”