Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I felt myself slowly sinking in the ocean-like blueness of Mohan’s eyes. But I knew I would not drown in them because he was there to save me. His eyes were inviting—pleading, almost. Those blue eyes offered me happiness and warmth. But I knew deep down that my true happiness didn’t belong to this boy with eyes like the sky and the seas, but with him whose gaze reminded me of the forest and the trees.

“Mohan,” I whispered. “I’m sorry.” The truth was, even if he somehow managed to erase my fears and my worries, I still could not assure him that I could requite what he wanted to give me. Not when my heart already belonged to another.

There was a sudden pooling in his eyes as he looked down at his feet. For a few seconds he just stared at the ground, not moving. Then he raised his head and met my gaze. “Is there someone else?” He asked.

I couldn’t bear to say that there was. I couldn’t tell him. I couldn’t hurt him. So I didn’t answer his question. But maybe he knew anyway. “It’s Calix, isn’t it?” And when I couldn’t answer him again, he held my hand gently and smiled. “It’s okay. I understand.”

I softly held his face between my palms. “I’m really sorry.” I hated that it’s all I could say. I was hurting him and all I could say was sorry! I hated that I didn’t deserve the tiniest bit of him. I hated that I couldn’t just teach my heart who to love.

A small smile appeared on his lips before he wiped a single tear from his cheek. “It’s alright,” He said. “But I want you to understand what I’m going to tell you, Kristine. I am not giving up. We can be friends for us long as you want, but remember that I won’t give up. I will wait for you. I will wait even ‘til forever. Just let me hang around the wings, so if you ever break your heart over him, I will just be beside you. And if that time comes, and you needed someone to fix your heart, please choose me.”

The next day after class, I went to the gym to find Calix. I still haven’t talked to him after what happened at the amusement park. He was playing Tennis again with a few senior guys. I waved my hand when he looked my way, but he just ignored me like I didn’t even exist. After about half an hour, they left for the shower room. I was getting antsy as every minute passed. Why was he ignoring me? I couldn’t take it anymore. So I burst inside the shower room and looked for him.

There were a lot of shrieks when the half-naked guys saw me barge in. Quickly, they grabbed whatever their hands landed on to cover what they needed to cover. As if I even wanted to see those things. Eww.

“Hey girl! Watcha doin’ here?”

“You looking for Calix? You could have just waited for him outside.”

I ignored them and started looking for Calix. “Calix! Where the hell are you?! It really stinks in here, and I have no intention of staying any longer! So get your ass right here this instant!” I yelled like a madwoman.

“Smells like hell, looks like heaven.” The guys snickered and I rolled my eyes at them before walking away.

Calix freaked out the moment he saw me. “What the hell are you doing here?! In case you haven’t noticed the big sign outside, this is the men’s shower room!”

“Why are you ignoring my calls and texts?”

“Ha! I wonder why!” He glared at me. “Get out. You’re going to get your mind polluted in here.” He quickly pushed me out the door.

“Oh let the girl have her fun, Calix!” His friends inside jeered and laughed like maniacs.

“Shut up, you morons!” He yelled at them before slamming the door shut.