Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I looked down and rested my gaze on the grocery bag Mohan was holding, hiding the scarlet hue developing on my cheeks. I knew for a fact that Mohan was just really playful, and believing everything he said is not advisable, especially if you are as self-aware as I am. But he always made me feel special that sometimes I forgot that he was so out of my league. Mohan was like the ultimate boyfriend-material: rich, good-looking, popular… And I knew that I was the total opposite of everything he was, but when I’m with him, he always made me feel like we were equal, that I can also have my own happy ending. For a moment, he made me believe all that.

But then reality hit me.

 I was Kristine Kinsella—fat and unattractive. Happy endings didn’t happen to people like me, and I’ve accepted that a long time ago. But I didn’t pity myself for it. That’s just how things were, and if there’s nothing I could do about it then I figured I’d just get over it and keep moving. It’s not the end of the world. I had a wonderful and loving mother who has always been enough for me. And now I even had friends like Amber, Calix, and Mohan. I couldn’t ask for more.

“Hey.” Mohan held my hand and looked at me. “Why are you so quiet?”

“Just thinking about how lucky I am to have wonderful people in my life.”

He smiled and started walking towards his car, my hand still in his gentle grip. “Am I one of those people?”

“Of course… not!”

“Well, that’s too bad. I actually had you on my list of wonderful people,” He said, faking a hurt expression.

“I was just kidding.  You’re my own personal superhero; of course you’re one of them.” I smirked at him.

Mohan grinned and slipped his key into the trunk of his car then lifted the cover up. “And you’re my own personal stress ball.”

I frowned. “Stress ball?”

“Yeah. I get really stressed out a lot, with personal matters, the school, my family, and I just don’t feel like talking to anyone about it,” He said, stuffing the grocery bag inside the trunk. “I often just bottled things up. But then when I’m with you, you seem to release all those bad energies. It’s weird, I know. I don’t even understand how you do it,”

I sighed and then shrugged. “It is weird. But I’m glad I can help you.” I was about to get inside his car when I felt him grab my waist, pulling me back into his arms. “Hey! What are you doing?!”

“Hold on. I just want to see if it will work.”

“If what will work?!” I exclaimed, growing anxious as his muscular chest pressed against my back.

“You need to squeeze a stress ball to relieve stress.”

I placed my hands on the back of his hands to pluck his hands away, but then decided not to. Maybe he really needed it.

I knew it must have been strange to the customers who saw us since we were at the parking lot, but I let him hug me, and we just stood like that for a few seconds until he released me.

“Did it work?” I said as I turned around to face him.

He gave me a slight smile before nodding. “It did. Thank you.”

“Welcome,” I murmured.

“Shall we go now?” He asked. “We still need to cook.”

“Okay,” I said. “I guess my mom’s probably on her way home anyway.”