Chapter 5

“Can you still walk?” Calix asked, catching his breath.

I planted my eyes on the vine-tangled ground instead of answering Calix’s question. There were lots of trees and plants everywere, and the occasional crooning of owls made the hair on my arms rise. He had left his bike from where we started out trek, and now here I was sweating every inch of my body as we made our way through trees after trees to wherever he was planning to take me.

“We’re almost there,” He murmured, and then took my hand to guide me as I crossed over a big rock. As I set my foot on the damp soil, it tripped over a thick vine and I felt gravity pulling me towards the ground—the problem was: I didn’t really fall on the ground but rather on Calix whose breath has loudly left his lungs.

“Oh my God! Are you okay?!” I gasped, quickly getting off of him.

Silence.

Oh no. Is he dead?

I would have dialed 911 already if he hadn’t heaved long and hard, and got up weakly. “I’m… fine,” He managed to say in between sharp intakes of air. “Just a little… out of… breath.”

“Are you sure? I can call an ambulance if you feel bad,” I said worriedly.

He took one last deep breath and cleared his throat before he got to his feet. “There, I’m fine.” Calix grinned. “Man, I thought a bear landed on me,” He teased, shaking his head.

I deliberated whether I should punch him or not. Since I almost killed him, I was going to let him go.

“I’m going to pretend you didn’t say that,” I muttered, turning away.

Calix burst into laughter before turning me to stare at him. “But a really cute bear,” He said, smiling so sweetly I felt my heart melt. “Like a teddy bear.”

“A bear that ate an elephant beforehand,” I retorted, trying to hide the stupid smile that crept on my face.

“Hmm, probably…” He chuckled.

I hit his arm, and he yelped a bit before laughing again. “Let’s just go, before the bear digests the elephant and preys on an annoying teenage boy,” I said.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting so much from this trip he insisted. So when we ended up on a meadow, I couldn’t help but marvel at the beauty that was presented before me. 

It was like a replica of heaven here on earth. There was a huge circular clearing in its center and along the clearing spread a carpet of the greenest and softest grass which almost felt like fur. Birds of different feathers sang harmonious melodies like an orchestra in a coliseum, and the elks, deer, and lambs drank from the small pond with the freshest water nearby. The owls flew and crooned endearing songs as their intense eyes overflowed with deep and vivid colors that glowed like a firefly's tail. I could almost taste the scent of wild raspberries, apricots, and lilacs that came with the cool breeze. It was very majestic to watch the moonlit floor of the clearing. The meadow itself was a beauty, but what made things appear magical was how close the moon looked like. It was like I could almost touch it. It’s pale glowing roundness, just an arm length away.

“Wow…” I said under my breath, not tearing my gaze away from the full moon. “I didn’t know there was a place like this in Seattle.”

Calix stuffed his hands into the pockets of his shorts and grinned lopsidedly. “Well, I just found out about this place a month ago. This is somewhat my private place. You’re the first one I brought here.” He said proudly.

“But why did you bring me here?” I asked, arching an eyebrow.

He shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess I just wanted to share this with someone who might appreciate it,” He said. “And as I’ve told you, I didn’t want to waste the time I took to come to your house since you didn’t want to teach me tonight.”