Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“As decided by democratic voting, the role of the prince in our upcoming class play of Cinderella goes to Mohan Collins,” Mr. Grimwaldy announced unenthusiastically.

A hint of annoyance flashed on Calix’s face, but was instantly replaced by a forced smile. “Whatever. I have better things to do with my time anyway,” He said.

Mohan laughed. “Stop sour graping, bro. Better luck next time,” He said, extending his hand to shake Calix’s.

“Me? Sour graping?” Calix snorted, ignoring Mohan’s hand. “You’re delusional.”

Mohan beamed at him, his smile both taunting and charming. “As I’ve said, better luck next time.”

Calix’s jaw tightened before he turned around his seat to face the board.

Mr. Grimwaldy cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “The other casts shall be selected on your first practice day. Winterson, you’ll be in charge with directing the play,” He told Calix, then started the lesson.

Just as expected, it didn’t take long before the whole campus, teachers included, gossiped about the little showdown between Mohan and Calix this morning. As far as the faculty was concerned, it was simply a battle between two jocks who wanted to get the lead role in the play. But as far as the students were concerned, it had something to do with me.

“You know everyone’s been talking about you, right?” Amber tucked a stray of blonde hair behind her ear before glancing around us. Sure enough everyone was looking. “They’re a hundred and one percent sure that the two boys are fighting over you. And they’re not very happy about it, especially their fan clubs.”

I raised my brows questioningly. “They have fan clubs?”

Amber stared at me as if I was out of my mind. “Duh, they’re like the gods of Arnault Academy. Girls here worship them,” She said, rolling her eyes.

I didn’t say anything since she’s obviously right, except when she said that Mohan and Calix were fighting over me. I mean, both of them are undeniably good looking, and I wasn’t even close to average. So why would they ever fight over someone like me?

“I’m heading off to Literature,” I said instead. “Also I’m not going to lunch because I’m going to find Calix. He still hasn’t taught me anything with acting, and the play’s coming soon.”

Amber touched my arm and stood directly in front of me so she could look at me eye to eye. “Just be careful, okay? Those fan girls can get a little too aggressive sometimes,” She said seriously.

“I don’t think they’ll hurt me. But okay, I’ll be careful,” I said, and started my way to class.

I haven’t even gotten too far when Mohan suddenly fell into step with me, smiling ever so cheerfully. He did that a lot—popping out of nowhere and brightening every room he walked in. There was something in his smile that seemed to cheer up everyone. He was like a walking sunshine.

I looked at him suspiciously because he always seemed to know where I am.

“I wasn’t following you. I just happened to be headed off this way too,” He said, as if he just read my mind.

“I never said you were.”

He nodded, still smiling. I stopped in front of my classroom and went in, directly walking to my seat. I was surprised to see Mohan sitting beside me. I thought he left when I entered the room.

“What are you doing here? You’re not enrolled to this class,” I said. I was early for Literature so the room was still empty.

“Just wanna chat for a while. It’s still early anyway,” He replied, yawning unnaturally. “It’s cloudy today. I hope it won’t rain. ”