Chapter 4

I clenched my teeth and gritted them together. “Gees, what’s so difficult?” I growled at Calix who sat in front of me looking as confused as the Pope when Galileo said the Earth wasn’t the center of the universe. “You just have to transpose B squared to the other side then get the square root of the equation to get the value of A! It’s not rocket science!” If only I didn’t need his coaching, I wouldn’t be a martyr trying to explain the Pythagorean Theorem to him for the eleventh time.

He shook his head, casually letting a smile stretch on his lips. “Just five more examples. I think I’m starting to get it.”

“Three. Last three.”

“Six.”

“You’re only going up!”

Calix shrugged. “See? You should have just agreed to five.”

I cursed him before I crossed my arms and stared at his emerald eyes. Now I finally understood the famous saying ‘You can’t have it all.’ He may be the cutest guy in school, but he certainly isn’t the smartest.

“Fine! I’ll give you five last examples. Then we start with my acting,” I grumbled.

His broad shoulders went up and down in a carefree manner. “Sure. We need to fix that as soon as possible anyway.”

I glared at him and he quickly shifted his gaze on the worksheets.

“So what will I do if one term isn’t a perfect square?” He asked.

Sighing, I snatched the paper from him and studied the equation. “It’s a perfect square, Calix. Recheck your answer.”

The school bell echoed in the cafeteria. Great. Lunch is over and I haven’t even taken a single bite off my blueberry cheesecake. I got a feeling that if I always spent lunch time teaching him, I’d be a size two in no time.

“I need to get to class. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said.

“No, we have Physics tomorrow. I need to learn this today,” He said worriedly. “I’ll go to your house.”

“My house?”

“I just said that. Come on, I can’t take another embarrassing stunt from Grimwaldy. Please?” He begged with an incredibly moving puppy dog eyes.

“Ugh! Fine! Whatever!”

I slipped my hand into the pocket of my sweatpants and pulled out my beaten up phone before passing it to him. He quickly typed his number before handing it back to me and giving a toothy grin. He fished out an iPhone from his Jansport bag and handed it to me.

I shook my head as I stood up. “I’ll just text you later so you get my number too, and my address.”

He nodded as he stood up and carried my bag for me. I tried to get it from him but he insisted to carry it as he walked me to my next period.

After class I ended up being cornered by a couple of cheerleaders.

“Hey, fatty. You going to prom?” A blonde girl wearing at least a hundred grams of foundation asked me.

I shook my head trying to avoid a prolonged conversation.

A redhead cheerleader laughed. “That’s what we’ve thought. I mean who would have asked you, right?” She said, as the rest of them laughed in unison.

A tall blonde guy tapped the redhead on the shoulder. “Excuse me, I just need to talk to my girlfriend. Do you mind if I steal her from you for a second?” He asked in a flirtatious tone.