XXI

The guys arrived shortly after and they were surprised to see Matt, Brian, Nat, Soph and an injured Arin in the living room. Nat and Soph have been apologising ever since Arianna left and I could not do anything to convince them that it was not their fault. The guys knew better than to ask so they went to their bedrooms to freshen up. I thanked Matt and Brian for coming over with their wives and I thanked Arin for saving me from more injuries. I made them promise to keep this incident among ourselves and not let Zacky know. They reluctantly agreed and walked towards the door. 

I handed Zacky’s mobile to Arin before they leave and hugged each of them goodbye. I walked back to the couch and checked the time. I realised that there was still time for me to go to where I initially intended to and grabbed my coat. I ran upstairs to let Alex know that I would be out for a bit and I rushed to the Hummer.

I drove for ten minutes and parked along the ever-so-familiar stretch of road. I jumped off the Hummer and brisk walked towards the iron-wrought gates. I pushed it open and walked towards Jimmy’s lot when I stopped in my tracks. Someone was sitting at the side of Jimmy’s grave and I heard a hushed voice. That someone was singing softly.

Now I think I understand

How this world can overcome a man

Like a friend we saw it through

In the end I gave my life for you

Gave you all I had to give

Found a place for me to rest my head

While I may be hard to find

Heard there’s peace just on the other side

Not that I could

Or that I would

Let it burn, under my skin

Let it burn

I stepped closer towards that someone quietly. I knew the song he was singing very well. I stopped walking when I was just beside him but he did not seem to mind my presence and continued singing. I glanced at him and saw the familiar face. I sat myself beside him and found myself singing along.

Left this life to set me free

Took a piece of you inside of me

All this hurt can finally fade

Promise me you’ll never feel afraid

Not that I could

Or that I would

Let it burn, under my skin

Let it burn

I hope it’s worth it, out on the highway

I know you’ll find your own way when I’m not with you

So tell everybody, the ones who walk beside me

I hope you’ll find your own way when I’m not with you

Tonight

Zacky breathed and turned his gaze towards me. His eyes were puffy and his cheeks were red. I looked at him and smiled. His emerald green eyes shone bright in the night and into my soul.

“What brings you here, Ska?” Zacky asked softly.

“I saw Jimmy earlier,” I replied and Zacky looked at me, confused. I chose not to explain as I believed the encounter with Jimmy was a sacred and a very personal one.