XVII

I stepped out of the shower in a ‘Led Zeppelin’ muscle tank and a navy cargo pants. My hair was still wet so I let it hang across my back. The bedroom was empty- Maddy was not sitting on the bed and I sighed. I went over to the dressing table and put on light make-up when there was a knock on the door. It could not be Maddy as she never knocks on doors, I thought. I stood up from the leather chair and walked towards it. I turned the knob and pulled the door open. Standing tall and dressed smartly in front of me was Jimmy. I rubbed my eyes vigorously and pinched my cheeks. I opened my eyes again and there he still was- grinning at me.

“Are you gonna let me in, Scarlett?” Jimmy whispered and sent shivers down my spine. This can’t be real. I stepped aside to allow him in the room sub-consciously and watched him sauntered towards the bed. He made himself comfortable and patted on the empty space beside him. I obeyed and seated myself beside him.

“I heard whatever you said when you visited me. It was really nice of you, thank you. I’ve missed you a whole lot too but I’m glad you’re finally here. Anyway, I want to thank you for being there for Zacky. -He has always been confiding in me and it hurt me so bad when all I could do was to listen to him. I’m not able to tell him that it’s gonna be alright and to comfort him like I always did. He did the right move by calling you- you’re able to do all those that I couldn’t. You’re a wonderful person, Scarlett. And you’re still really cool. Well, I better get going now. Remember what you promised me, Scarlett? I promise you I’ll be there to watch you,”

With that, Jimmy disappeared and I felt a cool wind swept against my body. I sat on my bed, still in disbelief and closed my eyes, taking in whatever just happened and all that Jimmy said. Drops of water soon fell on my head, coursing through my body and I opened my eyes wide. What the hell?