IX

28 December 2014

Aunt Anna’s beach house, Huntington Beach, California

The morning sun rays peeked through the blinds and shone on me. I rubbed my tired eyes sleepily and stretched myself awake. I turned to the other side of the bed to find Maddy sleeping soundly. I reached for  my mobile from the nightstand and checked the time. 7.28am. I jumped from the bed and darted to the shower. We had to be at the church by 9am and I definitely do not want to be late. I peeled the blue satin nightgown off my body hastily and turned the shower tap on.

Freezing cold water came in contact with my skin and I yelped. I turned the tap off and switched on the heater. I turned the tap on again and this time, the temperature of the water was just perfect. I cleansed my body as warm water cascaded down my feminine curves. I took a brief shower and dried myself afterwards. I decided to put on light make-up and go for the natural look today. I had to be well-dressed for the funeral and put up a good first impression for the band. I blow-dried my light brown strands and had them up in a chignon bun. I slipped on my knee-length, short-sleeved and pleated black dress and sprayed my favourite perfume on my pulse points. I put on a pair of simple diamond earstuds and got out of the bathroom.

“Wow! You look great, Ska!” Maddy commented as I appeared from the bathroom.

“Thank you, Maddy. Now, get in the shower and hurry up! I’ll go get the guys,” I commanded. Maddy rolled her eyes and dragged her tired self into the bathroom. I left the bedroom and went to the guys’ rooms to wake them up. Fortunately for me, Aunt Anna has reached home and the both of us got the guys up.

“You look beautiful, Scarlett,” Aunt Anna spoke as I took a seat in the dining room. She made me a cup of hot tea and sat beside me. She reached for my hand and squeezed it tight. She looked into my eyes and stood up, rubbing my back in the process. Aunt Anna knew what was going through my mind and her small gestures were enough to reassure me.

“Thank you,” I managed and sipped on my tea. The doorbell rang and Aunt Anna excused herself. Who could it be?

“Scarlett darling, is that you?” a familiar voice said and I looked up.

“Dad!” I exclaimed and wrapped my arms around him. I could see Mum and Aunt Anna talking at the living room and I ran to give her a hug as well.

“You look so beautiful, my dear!” Mum exclaimed. Dad, Mum and I sat around the dining table and we had a brief catch-up session. I was surprised that they managed to take time off from work to join us for the ceremony.

“We’ve planned this all along just to give you a surprise, Ska!” Dad confessed. I hugged them both tight and thanked them for being here. Shortly after their arrival, Maddy and the guys trotted down the stairs to the living room. They saw Mum and Dad and hugged them. Apparently, Maddy and the guys knew of my parent’s plan and they did a tremendous job in keeping it a secret.

It was half past eight when we left the beach house. The guys looked stunning in their black tuxedos and Maddy looked immaculate in her black dress. We drove to a stop across the church and got off the truck. There were many people dressed in black outside the church and they all looked to be deep in conversation. We were walking towards the entrance of the church when a little boy around the age of four approached me. He handed me a white rose and hugged me.

“Uncle Zacky told me to give you this,” the little boy whispered as I held him. I looked behind the little boy and saw a smiling Zacky folding his arms. He looked impeccable in his tuxedo and bowtie. I mouthed a ‘thank you’ to Zacky and focused my attention on this smart boy.