XIII

“Yeah! Now that’s what I call a good sport!” Johnny exclaimed and had his palm in the air, gesturing for a high-five. I responded to his gesture and faked a smile. Johnny then walked towards the raised platform and spoke into the mic.

“Hey guys! Our special guest for today have agreed to sing us a song! We will be playing with her & let’s hope she sounds as beautiful as she looks!” Johnny joked. I shook my head in horror. I have actually agreed to sing a song with the band and I looked at Arin in panic. I should have paid attention to their conversation!

“It’ll be fine! Sing your favorite song. We’ll play for you,” Arin comforted me and took my hand. He led me to the stage and took his place behind the drums. Brian and Johnny were on the guitars and Matt  was on the piano. I nervously told them the song that I would sing and they gave me the thumbs-up.

“Um hi. I’m Ska and we’ll be performing one of my favourite songs, for our dear, dear friend, Jimmy. This is ‘My Immortal’,” I said to the mic and the crowd cheered. I saw the girls smiling away and giving me the thumbs up while the guys shouted words of encouragement in their drunken state.

I seated myself comfortably on the bar chair and wrapped my fingers around the mic. I nodded towards the band and Matt started playing the piano. I felt a cold shiver run down my spine and shifted slightly. This has got to be good.

I'm so tired of being here, suppressed by all my childish fears

And if you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave

Your presence still lingers here and it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real

There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears

And I held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

The crowd applauded and I looked at them with a small smile. Matt was playing the piano beautifully and I got more comfortable. My gaze shifted from the crowd to the bar door. It was pushed open and a familiar person ambled in with a blonde in his arms. Zacky and Arianna trotted towards our table and Arianna’s eyes were fixed on me.

You used to captivate me by your resonating light

Now, I'm bound by the life you left behind

Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams

Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal, this pain is just too real

There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears

And I held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone

But though you're still with me, I've been alone all along

When they settled down, Zacky whispered something to Arianna and got on the stage. He took the only guitar left, just in time for the next part of the song. He brushed past me and gave me a smirk. The brief contact his skin made with mine gave me an adrenaline rush as I stood up from the bar chair and took the mic out of the stand. The band was in full swing and I was moving my body to the sudden energetic beat.

When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream, I'd fight away all of your fears

And I held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

Me, me

The crowd cheered and applauded when the song came to an end. Tears were already streaming down my face as I forced a smiled and thanked the crowd. Matt stood up from the piano chair and gave me a hug and the rest of the band followed suit. I felt a hand rubbing my back and Arin offered his sleeve to wipe my tears away. I thanked each of them and Johnny had his arm around my shoulders as we walked to our table.

“That was amazing, Ska! Such a beautiful voice you have!” Natalie complimented and stood up from her seat to give me a hug. Nat and Soph also praised me and gave me a hug each and I received a huge group hug from Maddy and the guys. Arianna was nowhere to be seen and I did not remember seeing her leave the bar. We took our seats and continued chatting. The band was amazed by my performance and they told me that Jimmy would be proud of me. I nodded my head and smiled shyly as I sipped on my wine and secretly hoped that Jimmy was indeed proud of me.

“Zack, where’s Arianna?” Natalie asked Zacky. They were all so engrossed in the conversation that none of them realised Arianna’s departure. The rest of the gang stopped talking altogether and had their eyes on him. Zacky simply shrugged and continued to down his poison. I took a quick glance at Zacky and knew that he must have quarrelled with Arianna. His emerald green eyes portrayed sadness and his weary face added unknown years to his handsome face. The band knew better than to probe into the matter further and rested the case. I looked at Nat as she had her hand on Zacky’s back, rubbing it lightly as though she understood. It was close to 3 AM and the guys decided to call it a day.

“It has been amazing meeting you guys but our eyes just refuse to stay open!” Felix announced.

“Yeah and before we give Ska and Maddy added worries on how to get us back on the truck, I guess we’ll take our leave now,” Ian chimed in and the rest of us laughed. Ian, Felix, Alex and Royce went around the table and shook the hands of everyone. Maddy was surrounded by the girls and they have planned a ‘Girls Only’ outing for later. The guys then joined the girls, leaving me alone with the band members.

“I must say, it has been really nice to see you again, Ska. We’re glad you’re doing this,” Brian said and gave me a tight hug. I hugged each and everyone of the band members and gave a small pat on Zacky’s back. He looked at me questioningly but I was certain he knew what that was for.

“I really appreciate the hospitality and I’m glad I’m doing this, too. Thank you for welcoming me to the family and guys, our first ever business meeting will be on the 30th alright? Don’t be late!” I said in a professional tone and laughed at their priceless facial expressions.

“You really are like your father, Ska,” Matt said and chuckled. I thanked them again and trotted towards the rest of the gang. I hugged the girls goodbye and they made me promise to join them for the outing later.