Chapter Twenty Six

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies

Chapter Twenty-Six: Déjà vu

And that was that. Edward left alive, angry and bitter, but alive. And I stayed back, accepting the fate that I had chosen for myself, chosen in order to save someone else that I loved. I couldn’t bring myself to regret my choice, but I sure as hell was pissed off when Edward had come back because he had, of course, decided to go and provoke the Volturi even after I had just given up everything to save his ass.

But I was glad to have gotten the chance to see Alice, at least, and also to meet the girl who had caused my brother so much incredible pain. I was so amazed when I had laid eyes on her and discovered that she was completely human. It was such a shock to me.

Even bigger of a shock was that Aro let them leave alive, most likely because he was in such a giddy mood that he had already gotten a new member into his clan. Permanently. While I loved the Volturi and I enjoyed their company, as soon as I had made my deal I had felt as if a part of me had died, died and left me empty.

While everyone else was overjoyed that I had agreed to become a member of their group, I couldn’t bring myself to match their enthusiasm. Now I knew that there was no more Carlisle, no more Esme or Edward, no more Jasper, Rosalie, and Alice. More heartbreaking that all, there was no more Emmett.

I had broken the one promise I had made to him. The promise to return home.

Laying here in these silk sheets, wishing they would somehow morph into the white cotton ones that I had gotten so used to being wrapped in, Emmett was all I was able to think about. That dreary rain that leaked outside the windows matched my sullen mood.

What had I agreed to? What had I just gotten myself into?

Hell.

I knew that I didn’t want to be here anymore, and most certainly not for the rest of eternity. However I also knew Aro and the other’s enough to know that once you make a deal with them, there is no going back on your word. I was stuck.

How was everyone back home going to take this? How would they react to me leaving them without even a goodbye? How would Emmett react? Would he have moved on? The idea of him being with anyone else produced a ripping feeling through my chest.

I wanted him for myself, I was selfish like that. But then again, when life hands you a dream beyond anything you could have every imagined, it is unreasonable to grieve when it comes to an end. And mine had ended. This was no longer a dream, it had turned into a nightmare.

Below me in the corridors, there was an angry pounding. Probably Caius pitching another fit about something or Felix and Demetri engaging in another pointless wrestling match. Whatever it had been, I didn’t care. I no longer cared about anything.

            Louder and louder and louder. The pounding fit was growing closer to me, and growing its grasp on my curiosity. Words and muffled arguments were being mixed in, and the sound was only distantly familiar. I had only recognized the face of Emmett Cullen when he broke down the door to my room and that blinding light behind him.

            “Mary.” Emmett spoke, it was a breath.

            “Mary.” The voice was beginning to morph, it was no longer in Emmett’s masculine tone, but something in between.

            As the white light swallowed up my dearest Emmett completely from my vision I was brought back to reality. The voice was a shout, high a female, and with a tug I lifted my head and removed myself from my trance. “MARY! LOOK OUT!”