Chapter Twelve

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Twelve: Where Everything Changes

Emmett never really calmed down from that day he stormed off. In fact, when he returned home a few hours later, he wouldn't speak to me at all. I had met him at the door and opened my mouth to speak to him; but the furious look in his eyes shut me up fairly well. 

I hadn't seen much of him since then; he spent most of the time cooped up all alone in his room. I would hear him roaming about the house, but when I would try to get up and go talk to him, he would bolt away from me without uttering a word. This shouldn't have bothered me, but it did. In fact, it hurt to know that he was ignoring me. 

Rosalie placed a consoling hand on my arm on morning while we were watching television. I had walked in and sat next to Emmett, but he silently stood up and stalked upstairs. "He just needs time, Lou." Rosalie spoke it as a promise. "He isn't mad at you, he's mad at us." 

I turned my head to look at her; my black curls caught the wind. "Then why won't he even sit in the same room as me?" 

Rosalie smiled a little, more knowledge in her voice. "I didn't know that mattered to you, Mary." I glared at her, even though her assumptions were true. While I was constantly annoyed by Emmett, something in my heart cracked a little at the situation we were currently in. Rosalie spoke again, this time answering my question. "He is just embarrassed, maybe." 

I raised an eyebrow skeptically at her failed attempt for an explanation. "Maybe?" 

Rosalie shrugged indifferently. "It's the best I can do, Louie. After all, I'm not Jasper." 

I turned my eyes back to the television, though my attention was elsewhere. "Fair enough." I knew though, that I wasn't going to let this whole thing settle with that epic fail of a conversation with my gorgeous sister-in-law, even if she was the one I had felt closest to. I was going to think of something to get Emmett's attention; silent or otherwise. I sighed, unable to focus on the blurring images on the television screen. I stood up and gave Rosalie an apologetic smile. 

Rosalie was sympathetic; she knew exactly what I was up to and where my mind was. Before she spoke she gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "Go for it." 

With her permission I stalked up the stairs and towards the familiar tightly closed door that belonged to Emmett and his fortress. I didn't even bother to knock, walking in and joining him where he lounged on the bed, grabbing the gaming remotes on my way. 

I dropped on controller on his lap; not even bothering to ask or to even look up to the puzzled and amazed expression on his pale face. "Put on Black Ops." 

Emmett was caught off guard, "I...uh..." It was clear to him that I wasn't going to leave simply because he felt awkward with me in the room. "...alright...I guess..." Emmett stood up slowly and placed the game in the feed, setting up all the options and choosing his class. I held my chin high as I did the same, we didn't say a word. 

I didn't mind the silence, I was just enjoying the proximity to him; at least he wasn't running away from me like I had the plague or something. I was playing a game I was always good at and Emmett was clearly trying to take it easy on me. Clearly a vampire with super skills could beat me in an instant; but it was as if he was taking his time as to keep me here with him. That thought brought a tug to my heart strings. 

Even when he let me win, I played along pretending like I hadn't notice his gentlemanly behavior. After all, that would probably just have embarrassed him even more if I were to point it out aloud, and upsetting him wasn't something that I wanted to do right now. 

I poked him in his abs, "There, there, Mr. Grumpy." I gave a fake theatric frown. "That wasn't so terrible was it?" 

Emmett didn't smile, and he showed absolutely no emotion. His eyes were shockingly black and impossible to read. Emmett's indifference was really eating at me and beginning to flare at me temper. I stood up off the bed and began to stalk off. "You know what, forget it. Clearly me trying to get a rise out of you is nothing but a waste of time." 

I didn't think that was too rude or out of line, but something in my words set Emmett off. For the first time ever, Emmett was bellowing at me and his cold black eyes seared my soul. "THAT'S IT!! I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! MARY, YOU ARE THE MOST NIAVE, IGNORANT, SELFISH, FRIZZY HAIRED, LITTLE BRAT THAT I HAVE EVER KNOWN!!" 

I tried not to show that Emmett's words were hurting me, throwing up my walls. "That's nice, Emmett, real classy." 

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, MARY." Emmett continued to bellow, his strong hands gripping too hard against my arms, I let out a gasp that he ignored. "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD?! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, YOU SELFISH LITTLE BITCH!!" 

I had felt all the life drain out of my face, there was no pretending now. What Emmett had said destroyed my walls completely, and I had felt the lump of defeat growing in my throat and the prickling sting in my eyes. I wrenched my body out of his grasp with much difficultly and turned away from him, slamming the door behind me. 

I ran. I ran out of the house. I ran down the road. I ran to the edge of town. I ran and ran and ran until there was nowhere else for me to go. I knew where I was heading, it was the only place distant enough yet still familiar to me. Emmett was the only other one who knew of the place, and I knew he wasn't going to bother looking for me. 

The clearing. 

Although I wasn't sure of the exact direction, I found the place. My shaky knees buckled from underneath me and I collapsed, burying my head against the cold stone I had once been laid upon during a happier time, and cried. 

Eventually my eyes dried up and the only thing that remained of my pain was the aching in my heart and the shaking breaths that still took over my chest with every few moments. The strong Miss Mary had been broken down, by none other than Emmett Cullen. 

In the distance of the trees there was a snapping of twigs, and I didn't bother to look up guessing at who it would be. "Emmett, leave me alone." 

"Try again, Mary." The voice sent a chill up my spine; it was familiar but just distantly. I snapped my head up and looking in that direction, only to meet the stony gray eyes of Benjamin Fredrick Elliot, and the rage within them.