Chapter Eleven

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Eleven: Six Inch Yellow Lilies

I held up a finger to Edward as Emmett and I strode in the door back at the Cullen home in Portland. Edward was grinning, and I didn't have to be a mind reader to know exactly what he was thinking. "Not. A. Word." 

Edward raised his hands in defense. "Okay, okay. Easy there tiger. I was just eager to greet my new sister-in-law, calm down." Edward's crooked smile beamed a little brighter at that last sentence. 

I didn't have a chance to give him a smart answer. Alice was in front of me two seconds later, arms crossed and looking absolutely livid. "You!" Alice pointed a bitterly furious finger in my direction. Uh-oh. "How could you do this to me, Mary?!" 

I was honestly confused. "I...uh...don't know." I furrowed my eyebrows out of habit at the last part. I couldn't think of anything that I had done to personally hurt her. 

"I mean," Alice looked as if she were about to cry. I felt a twinge of guilt that I wasn't aware I had. "I knew you and Emmett were eventually going to get married but...well...I wanted to plan everything. I saw it all differently than this." 

"I'm ....sorry?" I wasn't exactly sure how to answer her rambling.  

Alice answered my by throwing her arms around me in a depressed embrace. "I had so many ideas that I know you would have loved." 

I patted her back awkwardly, unsure of what to say. Jasper must have been able to sense my awkwardness, as he came forward and pried her hands from around me chuckling. "Well, congratulations." 

I wasn't exactly sure why everyone was so entirely happy and calm about this. Most families who hear of their loved one's Vegas Matrimonies are far less than accepting. The Cullen family seemed to have seen it coming. Esme and Carlisle came forward, and Alice's arms were soon replaced by the maternal ones of Esme. 

Carlisle smiled fondly; "It is nice to have you as a member of our family, officially." 

I smiled back, a little half heartedly. 

"However," Carlisle continued, glancing at Emmett who stood in the doorway. The expression on his face seemed like he knew that he was in for some sort of reprimanding. "Emmett, I believe the rest of us need to have a word with you, if you don't mind." 

Emmett nodded, not saying a word; he didn't meet my eyes as he strode silkily into the family room. Taking my que to leave, I strode up the stairs. Rude as it may have been; I took my time on each step trying to catch word of what they were saying. This was it that family drama I had felt like anyone normal should come home to in our situation. 

Maybe they would talk some sense into him. 

It wasn't until I was upstairs that I heard the risen voices of Emmett and Edward arguing. 

"WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE, EMMETT!!" I heard Edward's usual silky voice bellow. "THIS CAN'T GO ON LIKE THIS! WE HAVE TO TELL HER WHAT SHE IS A PART OF! SHE HAS A RIGHT TO KNOW." 

Emmett's booming voice was almost scary when he answered. "ABSOLUTELY NOT! I AM NOT GOING TO SIT BACK AND LET YOU DO THIS! IT ISN'T TIME!" 

It was Rosalie that spoke this time; her angelic voice indifferent, the only emotion that shone through was that of reason. "Then when is the right time, huh Emmett? When she wakes up with a withered face and you haven't aged a day?" 

"She isn't stupid." Alice reasoned desperately.  

"I DIDN'T SAY SHE WAS, ALICE!" Emmett was absolutely furious. Vaguely I wondered if this is what had gone on when I was brought back here from the accident.