Chapter Sixteen

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Sixteen: First Day

I had felt like it was my first day of kindergarten, and the nerves were really starting to eat at me the night before. I didn't get very much sleep, Edward came in to wake me just as I was finally dozing off. Esme had breakfast prepared for me, which I didn't eat much of. I just couldn't for the food down because the space in my stomach was filled with that nervous knot. 

"You look terrible, Mary." Alice noted as she walked into the kitchen. 

"Gee, thanks." 

"I meant, didn't you get any sleep?" 

I raised my eyebrow; she was asking a pretty obvious question. I didn't mean to be rude to her, but I just wasn't a very pleasant person in the morning. "Does it look like it?" 

Alice, catching onto my mood, simply handed me the backpack that she had already packed full of everything on the supply list. I sighed, "I'm sorry, Alice. I'm not meaning to be mean or anything." 

"I know, Mary. It's okay." Alice smiled. "If it helps, I can assure you that nothing terrible is going to happen to you today." 

Today. "Good to know." 

Alice continued in a more informatory tone as she handed me my schedule. "We are all taking Edward's car; its more blend able. Since there are six of us, I will be riding in the trunk." The look on my face must have been comical, as Alice laughed her bell like laugh. "Don't worry, Mary, vampires are indestructible I'll be fine; you're the one who needs the seatbelt." 

Edward interjected casually. "Please Alice, I'm an excellent driver." 

Alice rolled her eyes and took a breath, continuing. "Edward made sure that you will always have a class with at least one of us, so you won't ever be alone." I was grateful for that much. "I know this whole arrangement of going to school makes you uncomfortable, but I promise it won't be as bad as the first time you had to do it." 

"Let's hope not." I muttered, stuffing the schedule that I hadn't bothered to glance at in the side pocket of my backpack. I was already nauseous, and there was no need to make myself sick. 

Rosalie entered the room, bringing me a blue cardigan with her. Rosalie gave me a look that was unmistakable, it mirrored the feeling in my stomach; she wasn't happy about the idea either. "We'd better get going if we are to get a good parking space." 

Edward pulled the shiny keys from his pants pocket and darted for the door. "Already on it." 

Emmett and Jasper came down the stairs, as if on que. Jasper had made an attempt to relieve that sick feeling from my tummy, and was fairly successful. I made sure to send him a few grateful vibes; it was one less thing I had to weigh on my mind today. 

Emmett wrapped his arm across my shoulder and led me out the door into the garage. I had a feeling that this was going to be a very long day. 

Forks High School was a surprisingly small school, but then again if you think about it, Forks is a very small town. How many ignorant teenagers could this place hold? Wait, I had an answer to that. Forks High School had a student body population of about five hundred and fifty students. That was puny compared to Portland Metro High's four thousand students. 

Discovering that was somewhat of a relief to me, at least there would be significantly less people than I had so greatly hated. When we had pulled into the parking lot, I could see that the school was divided into several small brick buildings, which meant a lot of outdoor embarkments. What does that mean for me? Plenty of opportunities to skip classes.