Chapter Nineteen

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Nineteen: New Beginnings

"So," I asked for about the tenth time, "I have to go back to school?" 

"Yes." Alice insisted, opened the door that led from the obnoxiously large garage into the Cullen home. My home. "Becoming a vampire isn't a valid excuse for an extended absence." 

"I don't know," I pressed, a happy smile on my lips, "I would think that there is something in their books for that exception." 

Alice laughed as we walked through the kitchen and into the family room. Edward was sitting at the piano, hitting the keys absentmindedly, not playing any real melodies. I took a seat on the bench next to him and began touching the keys at random simply to get on his nerves. Edward turned his face to me, smiling and ruffling my hair in good nature. "I take it the mall went well?" 

"Excellent," Alice beamed from the couch proudly. "Mary did great; the smell didn't seem to overwhelm her like I had thought it was going to." 

I didn't quite see it the same way she did. As soon as those doors opened, the aroma hit me like a train. Alice had a firm hold of my arm the entire trip and refused to let me walk around on my own. Clearly she wasn't a mind reader, but she was intuitive enough to know what schemes my mind had been concocting. 

It wasn't something I was proud of, nor something I had been doing consciously, it was just...instinct. I didn't actually want to hurt anyone, it was just a part of my nature now, a part of who I was, it was my own inner demon and I didn't think I was quite as ready to be tempted like that as Alice thought I was. 

Edward gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and whispered so as only I was able to hear him. "You'll be fine, Mary. We won't let anything happen." 

I trusted him, even though I didn't really trust myself. I gave him a small smile and decided that now was a good time to change the subject. "Where's Rose?" 

"She went out." Edward put shortly. He had known that Rose and I hadn't really been speaking these last few days, and that wasn't at all my fault. I honestly had tried to talk to her, but she was always so short with me. And now, she was hardly ever around. 

"Oh," I answered stupidly, looking down mind empty. 

"Emmett was looking for you, though, Mary." Jasper said pleasantly as he entered the room, sitting himself comfortable next to Alice. "He said he had a surprise for you, or something along those lines." 

I smiled at him, some part of me was excited to hear that sort of news. "Where is he?" 

"His room." Jasper said, motioning his head in that direction. Alice was giggling, clearing having trouble containing herself as she had probably already seen this coming. 

I rolled my eyes and playfully stuck my tongue out at her as I left the room and headed for the stairs, eager to see what he had in store for me. I loved surprises. I didn't even bother knocking at his door as I skipped through the hallway, I simply barged in. 

Emmett was lounging on the bed, flipping through a magazine as if he weren't up to something just milliseconds before I had made my entry. Emmett looked up at me and smiled slyly. "Hey." 

I laughed and placed myself onto his bed as well, laying out and relaxing. I figured I might as well play along; he was going to tell me eventually. "Hey." 

Emmett looked up at me from his magazine, his fingers tracing patterns on my arm. "How was the mall?" 

I sighed, "You want me to be honest with you?" I waited for him to nod before continuing. "I honestly thought I wasn't going to make it."