Chapter Twenty-Three

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Twenty-Three: Tides

"What can I get you to drink Miss?" The flight attendant's female voice rand in through my ears; I opened my eyes from their rest and eyed her. She was fairly attractive for a human, though with my vampire eyes I was better able to see her flaws. Wrinkles around her blue eyes were beginning to show her age, and there were slight discolorations due to her sun exposure; her hair was an unnatural blonde color and the root regrowth was getting under my skin. 

"Water, please." I decided to keep it simple; after all, I didn't even plan to touch the drink, only ordering it for the purpose of keeping up with the pretense. After a twenty-five hour flight, humans would get thirsty. It was almost too easy to forget what it really had been like, being human. 

The woman smiled at me, a cheeky grin that highlighted the lines around her eyes. "Sure thing, sweetie." After she poured me out some water she spoke again. "Do you model or something? You really are the prettiest thing I've ever seen." 

I smiled awkwardly at her compliment. I was never one for flattering attention. "Err...no, I don't. But thank you." 

The lady smiled and nodded and drove her trolley down the aisle, serving other passengers. I leaned my chair back once more and rested my head against the pillow I had purchased, closing my eyes and enjoying the music Edward had selectively added to my Ipod. 

And then the pain came as soon as I had thought of my brother and my best friend. I sure did already miss his company. 

I tried to force away any thoughts and memories of the Cullens as we sored through the air. I really didn't want to be tempted to leap from the plane and run back home. That would have been too conspicuous. Silently I reminded myself that it was me who had made the decision to leave, and it was me who was going to stick to my guns. 

And then I thought of my life size teddy bear, Emmett Cullen and I felt my heart sink slightly deeper. No doubt he had found my note and I had wondered how he was taking it. My normally good natured, always guesting boyfriend rarely took anything as offence. Did that change? 

I took a deep unneeded breath in order to steady myself and my emotions. "Just relax, Mary." I whispered quietly to no one. "Just breathe." 

Instead I took to thinking of the mystery that was about to unfold before me. Who were the Volturi? I had heard Jasper mention them to me about two weeks either, but he didn't go into any real detail except for that they were basically the vampire royal family. 

Carlisle had left me very little clues in his farewell note. The only mentionable thing was that they 'are not like us'. What exactly did that mean? Carlisle also said they were people who could teach me a lot about myself. Puzzling. 

I must have really been thinking for a long time, because the tedious flight seemed merely minutes long. Before I had known it, I was stepping off the plane and into the beautiful rolling hills and vineyard valleys of Italy. 

While I was taking in what little I was able to see, I could tell from my peripherals that I was being approached by someone. I only noted her appearance after she had spoken to me, her words were not a question. "Mary Cullen?" 

I was almost shocked, it was the first time anyone had actually addressed me by my married name instead of referring to me as Mary Renner or Mary Hale. I stared at the girl, who was fairly young-perhaps sixteen years old-and noted that she too was a vampire. Her hair was straight and brown, worn about her shoulders and her eyes were a bright crimson like my own. "Yes?" 

The girl nodded in greeting and began leading the way to a black car. "My name is Jane, I was sent to retrieve you from your arrival. I trust your flight was pleasant?" 

It wasn't concern in her voice, nor curiosity. Just manners. "Er...yeah, I suppose." 

Jane nodded again and continued on. She gave me the impression that she was the no nonsense kind of woman, and I admired that. It was a change. "Aro and the others are anxious to meet you. Before you arrive there to a shock, however, I have been asked to inform you about my coven and our special talents. Aro can see every thought that has ever crossed your mind, simply by a single touch. Demetri is a lethal and deadly tracker. My brother Alec is able to numb and block out your physical feelings, while I am able to cause tortuous pain." 

I was somewhat shocked at how matter of fact she said it all. She was very business-like. "Oh, well...that sounds...handy?" 

Once again, Jane gave a short nod. It was silent after that. After a while had passed and the rain had begun to pick up she spoke again. "We're here." Jane stated as she, after passing an impressive gate, drove up the driveway of a medieval castle. And not a small one, either - one thing I had to give the Volturi; they certainly had style. 

It really surprised me that Carlisle let me live with non-vegetarian vampires; he must either really trust me to uphold myself or want to get rid of me. I think the last option was out. So what did the Volturi have that made Carlisle so trusting? Jane was cool, but not necessarily a woman I would consider one of principles. But what had Carlisle said? The Volturi were the kind of people I would need now.