Chapter 15

Joey's PoV

We got back to Brian's apartment and he got me set up on the couch. I decided that it would be best to wait till the morning to talk about everything. I needed some time by myself.

"Let us know if you need anything" Meredith said. "We're here for you" Brian added. I nodded in appreciation and then they turned and went off to Brian's room. I laid back on the couch and tried to let my troubles escape my mind. It didn't work very well, but eventually I was able to drift off to sleep.

I woke up the next morning, sat up, looked around, and then it hit me like a truck. Lauren was leaving today. My attempt to stop her came too late and she would be gone to New York within a few hours. I got up and went into the kitchen to get some coffee. Brian and Meredith were both sitting at the table.

"Morning Jo" Meredith said with a sympathetic smile.

"Morning" I replied.

"Are you ready to talk about it yet?" Brian asked.

"I think so" I said. "Just let me grab some coffee first. I'll meet you guys in the living room." They walked out. I poured my coffee and leaned up against the counter, taking a deep breath. Alright Joey, you can do this. Just tell them everything. Let it all out, it will be fine. I gained my composure and went into the living room. I joined Brian and Meredith on the couch.

"Okay... where to start. Well Mere I don't know how much Brian has told you, but a little while ago, I realized that I had had feeling for Lauren for quite some time. It was because of these feelings that Mariah and I broke up. Anyways, Bri and I decided that there was a pretty decent chance that Lo liked me too, so I decided it would be a good idea to tell her my feelings. The only problem was, the day I tried to tell her how I felt was the day she told me she got the job offer in New York. She seemed like she really wanted the job so I didn't want to say anything that would make her give up on that. The more time that passed, though, the more I couldn't stand the thought of losing her. The day after I lashed out at her at her announcement party, we went out to lunch. She said that she had nothing tying her down here in Chicago, no reason not to go. I wanted to badly to tell her that I could be the reason for her to stay, but then it happened again. She seemed like she really wanted this job, saying it was such a great opportunity. And who was I to take that away from her. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Only I wish that I had because last night at the going away party, I was too late..." I trailed off, looking down at my hands.

"Too late for what?" Meredith asked.

"Too late to make her stay. I tried. I told her how I felt and that I wanted her to be here with me."

"And then what did she say?" Brian asked.

"Well, at first she didn't say anything. She just hugged me and cried for a while while I sat there holding her. When she finally did say something, she said that she had been feeling the same way for a while and that she had been waiting for me to ask her to stay. I got so excited, but then she said I was too late. That she had taken her commitment too far at that point and that she had to go. Then she just walked back into the apartment and I stood there crying like an idiot. And then that's when you guys came out and found me, I guess"

Meredith scooted closer and hugged me and Brian put a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm really sorry it didn't work out bud" he said. "It would have been great to see you two together."

"Yeah, it really would have" I said. "I think I'm gonna go take a shower now if you guys don't mind."

"No, not at all." Meredith said.

"Yeah man, make yourself comfortable. You're welcome here as long as you'd like" Brian added.

I left them sitting there and went to the bathroom. I stood under the shower head for what seemed like forever, just letting the calming water run over me. Lo was gone. How on earth am I going to get through this? I mean obviously I have great friends and all, but no one could ever be as great as Lo. She was perfect in every way imaginable. Even if we never ended up getting romantically involved, I would still love her being here as my friend a million times more than her being in New York having feelings for me. She was so beautiful and funny and... Come on Joey, you can't keep thinking like this. You're going to dig yourself into a rut you can't get out of. But... her eyes and the way her hair falls around her face and the way she laughs... Oh who am I kidding, I won't ever be able to stop thinking about her. She was my everything.

Lauren's PoV

I awoke to Julia shaking me gently and whispering my name. I opened my eyes.

"Lo, honey, it's time to get up. We've got to get you to the airport soon" she said sweetly.

I groaned and rolled over, curling up into a ball. Just then Jaime burst into my room.

"Alright ya sleepy head" she shouted. "Time to get up and get you ready to go to the airport. Today's the day. The day your new career begins! The start of your future! Get up, get up, get up!"

Since I was definitely awake now, I swung my legs out of bed and shuffled to the kitchen for some coffee. "There's a pot already made for you" Julia said. Clearly she knew I would need a little pick-me-up this morning. Jaime chimed in with, "We got some little pastries from the coffee shop for you. And we also took all your bags out to the car already. So all we have to do is eat and get going!" She was doubly excited as she should have been. I think she was trying to get some of it to wear off on me.

"Thanks guys. For everything you've done." I said smiling a little.

"Alrighty, eat up" Julia said. So I did. I had a croissant and a little bit of muffin with my coffee. When I was done, I made sure I had my phone and all my travel documents and we went out to the car. My mind kept going to Joey, thinking about what it could have been like if I stayed. This made me sad, so I tried not to think about it too much. Rather, I thought about all the good memories I had had with everyone I was leaving behind. Like Jaime said, today was the start of my future.

Everything went smoothly at the airport. I said goodbye to Juls and Jaime with minimal tears and boarded the plane. I would be in New York before I knew it. Starting my new life. This is good.

-