Chapter 9

Lauren's PoV

I walked in the door and threw my keys onto the table and went to the kitchen to get some water. Julia was sitting at the table on her laptop.

"Hey Lo, how'd it go with JD today?" she asked. I had just gotten back from another meeting with JD, the guy from New York.

"It went really well, actually" I said. "He told me that he thinks he has some work for me."

"Really?! That's great news!" She half screamed and stood up to give me a hug. I didn't really reciprocate much, so she let me go, looking confused. "That is great news isn't it?"

I hesitated a little before telling her. "Well, yeah. I mean I would be acting, so that part's good. Except... except it's in New York."

"Oh, Lo... that's so far away. We would all hate to see you go."

"I know and I would hate to leave..."

Before I could elaborate anymore, Julia cut in with, "But I really think you should go." I was a little shocked. I didn't think she would make such a quick decision about me leaving her. We had been roommates forever. She continued, "Like I said, we would all miss the crap out of you, especially me. But this is such a great opportunity for you to be doing what you love. I would hate it more if you passed this up."

She was right. I had to take this offer. I would being doing what I love in one of the greatest cities ever. But I was going to miss everyone so much. Most importantly I was going to miss Joey so much. How was I going to tell him I was leaving? It's been so long since we've been apart for more than two weeks and who knows how long this commitment with JD would be. I left Julia in the kitchen and went to my room to be alone. I just laid on the bed and cried, thinking only about Joey. His hair, his eyes, his smile, the way I felt when I was with him. I was going to miss it all so much. Joey Richter was all that I loved in this world. He was the best guy ever. I found myself daydreaming that when I told him, he would tell me to stay in Chicago and be with him, and then he would pull me close to him and kiss me with all of his heart and never let me go and... No, Lauren. You can't do this. Even if things are rocky with Mariah, they're still dating. He's not yours and he never will be.

I avoided seeing Joey for the next two weeks because I couldn't bear to have to tell him the news of my moving to New York. But I couldn't avoid him forever. Tomorrow was Tuesday, the day for our coffee date.

I got a text from him that said, "Coffee tomorrow? I have something important to tell you."

I responded, "Me too, see you at 1:00."

I was finally going to have to face him and tell him what was going on.