To All Of Your Constant Pressing Needs

I opened the door wider. "Come in." I walked Juliet to my living room. "Want anything? Water? Drinks? You hungry?"

"No, I don't think I'm gonna stay long. But thanks anyway." Juliet sat on the couch and I sat next to her. 

"So, how does your brother want this painting?" 

"He said he wants it to represent me. Something to remember me by." 

"Is he leaving or something?" 

Juliet shook her head. "No. We're just really close. He-he's actually the only family I have left." Juliet looked down to her feet, trying to cover her face. But I could tell tears were starting to form. 

I placed my hand on her knee. "Hey, it's okay. If you're that important to him then I promise you, this painting will be amazing. It'll be the best he's ever seen."

Juliet turned to face me, smiling widely. "You say that now, but can you really do it?" 

I looked her in the eye. "Don't worry about it. But before I start, I need to know a few things about you to make the painting more personal." And to finally know who she really is.

Juliet and I sat on the balcony in the middle of the afternoon. "So your brother really is the only one you have? What happened? If you don't mind me asking."

Juliet focused on the view in front of her. "Years ago, my parents died in a house fire. My brother and I were out that night. I remembered my mom telling me to just stay, but I kept on nagging her. I whined till she let me go. I didn't realize that'll be the last time I'll ever see my parents." Juliet paused. "We had no relatives nearby and I didn't want to move across the country, so my brother and I decided to live on our own. He was old enough to take care of me. He then got a job to provide both of us everything. That's why I'm so close to him. It's like he raised me himself." Wow. I did not expect that about her. Then again, what DID I expect from her? "So how 'bout you? You live alone, where's your family?"

I took a sip of my coffee. "Uhh..." I laughed, shaking my head. 

"What? You're not gonna tell me anything?" 

I guess it's fair that I did. "I'm sorry. I'm just not used to telling people about my past." Juliet didn't say anything, just waiting for me to talk. "Fine. When I was young, my family moved here from England. I had an older brother and we were close, but not like you and yours. Then growing up, he was an alcoholic. So when he went back to England he..." I stopped and started tapping the pencil against the table. "We found out he was gone. I was too young to know what was going on. But I knew enough. So now my parents, instead of going back to England, they stayed in Baltimore to watch me. I know they're worried but I'm not gonna end up like he did." I was shocked on how much I could tell. I guess I felt comfortable telling her, like we've known each other for a long time. Weirdly enough, I did felt that way at the moment. 

"So how'd you get into painting?"

"My brother. He used to paint all the time." I smiled at the thought. "I was always so fascinated about it, so he taught me when I was still so little." I dropped my pencil and scanned the sketch that I was doing. "This is just the first draft. If you want anything changed, just tell me." I handed Juliet the sketch pad. 

I heard her gasp. "Oh my gosh, Alex, this is great!" I couldn't help feel so excited knowing I put that smile on her face. She looked completely lost in it. 

Then I remembered something. "Oh yeah, can you flip that on the last page?" Juliet did as I told and her eyes went wide. "See that? That's when I, out of the blue, drew you. I swear to God I have never seen you before."