Part 9

He could hear them.

At first Lukas just lay there, not really sure if he was awake or asleep, eyelids too heavy to lift. It was almost peaceful.  As if the rhythmic beeping and hushed melodic voices that came and went wanted to lull him back to his slumber.

His first indication of consciousness was when a pair of nurses came in.

"So this is our mystery patient." A heavily accented voice cooed. "I wonder what kind of guy he had to be to be riding in the front of a police car in the middle of the night? Especially in this neighborhood."

"A hooker?"

Lukas could hear a loud squeak as the other nurse stopped  abruptly and dragged his shoe on the floor.

"Lovino!"

"What? It's a legitimate idea. What other type of guy do you see wearing a cashmere turtleneck to cover up hickies?"

"That's still not nice to say. Anyhow, the bruises are more likely from the crash."

"We'll do you have any idea who he could be, Antonio?"

The name was sneered. Making the nurse's voice sound rough and grouchy.

"I don't know but you should never assume. Remember the big Russian guy who came in and looked like he'd gotten in a bar fight?"

"Yeah?"

"He's a social care worker. He beat up and got beaten up by some kids abusive dad when the guy  found out he was abusing his son."

"Oh."

Suddenly cold hands were grabbing his arm.

He subconsciously flinched away making his heart monitor jump and made both nurses pause. 

"Did he just flinch?"

No response besides the tightening of fingers on his arm.

"Lovino?"

The pressure lessened and a low sigh came from beside him.

"It was most likely a subconscious reaction. His heartbeat is too slow for him to be awake. 

Anyway, let's get him cleaned up. We're supposed to get off early aren't we?"

"Si, I'm really excited to try the new Italian restaurant for lunch."

A low chuckle sounded from Lukas' left.

"Yeah I know. If we wake up in time for Lunch, what time is it anyway?"

"Almost four."

"Ugh, I hate taking the early shifts."

"I know, I know. I promise I'll talk to boss about coming in later now and again."

He could feel an odd sensation as careful hands peeled off a bandage on his forehead. A warm wet sponge went to work cleaning off left over dried blood.

Completely grossed out by the feeling, Lukas attempted to space out and remember what happened. 

There was a lot of noise, someone was yelling for him and then nothing.

After playing the blurred scenario several times, he felt the same gentle hands replacing the old bandage with a new one.

His body felt cool where the nurses ran water over him to clean him off.

When he felt one of the sponges run across his scalp, Lukas suddenly felt drained.

His hair was gone. The only thing he ever felt was beautiful about himself was just, gone.