Can't Think Of a Title

Mathias gently waved off Alfred's offer to stay with him once they reached the hospital.

"I'll be fine. Ludwig is gonna kill you if you spend too long off patrol," Mathias retorted.

"I think Ludwig had other things to worry about."

Mathias flushed pink from the shame of forgetting that Ludwig was Gilbert's younger brother.

"Oh, right."

"So, do you want me to stay?"

"Nah, I'm fine on my own."

Alfred sighed and tightened his grip on the wheel. "Okay, but call me if you need something, I've got my cell on."

"Got it, now go get another McMuffin or something, you look hungry."

He ignored the profane gesture directed at him and exited the police car.

"Call me if you need a ride home!" Alfred shouted before Mathias slammed the door shut.

He made a mock salute before strutting through the sliding doors and down the hall into the waiting room.

The second the doors slid shut, his entire stance dropped like a marionette who had his strings cut.

He felt drained and exhausted. A stark contrast to his emotions when he first heard about the accident.

He had managed to keep up the act all though the ride, pretending to be alert and cracking bad jokes and even at the restaurant where Alfred had insisted on eating to bide their time until visiting hours began.

Neither of them ate much but it was a nice place to stay warm.

He made his way up to the desk where a nurse was busy scribbling on an undecipherable work form.

"Um, hi?"

"Fill out the form and have a seat," the platinum blond said without looking up.

"I'm actually here to see a patient."

She looked up, her eyes twinkling in surprise.

"Oh dear, sorry about that," she said dropping her pen and checking her watch.

"You're lucky visiting hours start so early around here, otherwise I'd be a lot longer wait."

Mathias looked over her again, not being able to shake the feeling that he knew her. 

"Irunya?"

She jumped at her name and peered through her reading glasses at Mathias.

"Oh, Officer Kohler. I didn't recognize you with my glasses on. Or while I'm not yelling at my sister." 

She made a gentle smile at her own joke. 

Mathias shuffled his feet awkwardly.

"Yeah, you look look really different when you smile."

"I'm assuming you're here to see Mr. Beilschmidt?"

Mathias fidgeted and looked down at his hands.

"Uh, yeah. But first I'm here to see Lukas Bondevik."

She blinked in confusion.

"Oh alright, let me check."

She turned and messed with the computer for a second.

"I don't see a Mr. Bondevik on here."

Mathias' blood turned cold and his fists clenched at his sides.