Barbed Wire Heart Pains and A New Beginning

“So where are you taking me,” I asked Damon, who was drumming his hands on the steering wheel in an incredibly irritating fashion. He smirked at me.

            “You asked for a dare, Miss Gilbert, and I’ve got one hell of a dare for you!” I swallowed nervously. What the hell was Damon planning?

            “Tell me pleeeeaaaaasssseeee!” I whined, tugging on Damon’s arm. He jerked the steering wheel and we swerved off the side of the road. Into a barbed wire fence. Great. I rolled my eyes. “Well this is just fantastic,” I groaned, as I felt the air seep out of one of the tyres.

            “It was your fault,” Damon pointed out, “You were the one who grabbed my arm!”

            “You were the one who wouldn’t tell me where we were going!”

            “You were the one who asked for the dare!” Our voices were getting increasingly louder.

           “You were the one who suggested we play stupid Truth or Dare in the first place!” I slammed my hand on the Dashboard to emphasise my point, but jarred my wrist. I shook it, trying to ease off the pain, and Damon paused before he spoke.

            “Kiss me.”

            “What??” I spluttered, a look of total shock and confusion on my face. Here we were, in some random ditch, with a flat tyre, and Damon was asking me to kiss him!

             “You heard me,” Damon grinned, “Kiss me. That’s your dare.”

             “WHAT?! You drag me all the way into some freaking ditch and then ask me to kiss you?!”

              “Technically it was you that dragged us into the ditch, but yes, that’s your dare.” I huffed, loudly, before folding my arms over my chest and sitting back in my chair. It wasn’t that I didn’t WANT to kiss him – because I did. I just knew I shouldn’t. I mean, what about Stefan? We were still together, weren’t we? I couldn’t just keep kissing Damon and acting like everything was fine and dandy.

                 “It was soooo not my fault! Besides, I’m not kissing you.”

                 Damon smirked. “I think you’ll find it was, Elena, and well if you won’t, I’m sure I can think of a decent forfeit, for you...” He trailed off, but I got the message.

                “Fine,” I exclaimed exasperatedly. I leant over to Damon, where he was still sat in the drivers seat, and pressed my lips lightly to his. I felt a spark of electricity jump between the pair of us, but I didn’t pull away. At first the kiss was slow, but then Damon responded, his lips tangling with mine. I lost control of my senses, but my hand snaked up and my fingers wound themselves into Damon’s tousled dark locks. His hand slip to my waist, and it was amazing – more heated than anything I’d ever experiences with Stefan. Whenever I had kissed Damon’s brother, Stefan, it had been full of love and care. But with Damon, the kiss seared with heat, with passion. I understood. I didn’t need anyone to love me – as I knew Stefan and Damon already did. I needed someone to need me, want me, even. And Damon Salvatore needed me to fix him.

            I broke the kiss, and as I pulled away my breathing was heavy, as was Damon’s. We sat side by side, neither one of us saying anything, until Damon broke the silence.

            “Well, Elena, one thing’s for sure. I’ve never been kissed quite like that before.” I smirked at him – no idea how I’d mustered it – because inside my guts were a turmoil of emotions.

            “Damon,” I started, avoiding the subject. “What do you think is going to happen with Stefan?” Damon looked confused at the change of subject for a minute, but then he sighed, resting one elbow on the steering wheel and leaning his head on it.

            “Honestly? I have no idea. I don’t know what Klaus wants with him, but we can assume that whatever it is isn’t for the good of anyone. He might come back, who knows. The thing is, with someone as powerful as Klaus, we can’t just blaze in and rescue him. We have to wait for him to come to us – and see if Klaus hasn’t managed to destroy every shred of humanity left inside my –“ I interjected.

            “Not what is happening with Klaus and Stefan, that’s not what I meant.” I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. “I meant Stefan and me. Do you think he’ll ever be the same again? What are we, is he still my boyfriend?” Damon sighed. It was pretty clear he didn’t want to be having this conversation.

            “I think,” he started, “that whatever happens, Stefan will always be Stefan. Even if Klaus turns him into a bloodthirsty lunatic.  But as for you and Stefan? Hmm. Why don’t you call him, again, and try to talk to him? If you can reach him, then maybe you could sort things out. If he doesn’t pick up, I think it’s safe to presume that you two are done.” Damon smiled reassuringly, and handed me his cell, as I’d left mine back at the house. I took it, and nodded. I think that was the longest amount of time that Damon had ever been serious for, and he chuckled when I told him that.

            As I dialled Stefan’s number, he reached over and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. As he did so, I melted a little inside. My heartbeat accelerated as each ring echoed throughout my eardrums. When the call finally got through to Voicemail, I hung up.

            For a moment or two, I stared into space. A tear rolled down my cheek, silently, as I gazed out into the gloomy blackness. We were really done, Stefan and I. We were finished, and never again would I feel his supportive arm around my shoulder, or hear his deep voice whispering sweet nothings into my ear during a biology lesson. We were done, we’d had our time. But Klaus had taken him from me. Damon sat there, watching as tears rolled down my cheeks.

            “You alright?” He inquired, sensitively. “If it’s any consolation, I’ve always known my brother’s a douche. Looks like someone needs cheering up, though. Wait here a second?” I nodded, as he handed me a box of tissues. He jumped out the car and using his vampire speed, whizzed around to the boot, took out the spare tyre, and it was fixed in a matter of seconds. I grinned, as Damon slid back in his seat, a smudge of engine oil on his nose. I leant over to wipe it off and Damon snapped his teeth at my finger playfully. I chuckled.

 I was going to be alright... how did I know? Simple. I had Damon Salvatore to cheer me up...