It's a Revolution I Suppose

Chapter 17

“Cato, Where are you?”, I call.

No answer.

I go down the stairs and just as I reach the bottom step, Cato walks in the front door.

“Where were you?”, I ask.

“Haymitch’s house”, he says grabbing me by the arm and whispers in my ear, “Get dressed , we’re going out.”

I nod and start  walking upstairs.

Cato was acting weird, he usually isn’t like this.

I get dressed in a floral print vest top, white denim shorts and a pair of brown leather lace up boots.

I race down the stairs and Cato starts to break into a jog out the door and towards the forest.

I catch up with him and when we reach the forest we check for the hum o f the fence, it’s not there so we wiggle through the gap.

We make our way to the overlook of the valley.

I sit down on the grass as does Cato.

“Katniss, I need to show you something”, Cato says taking papers out of his Pocket.

He  hands them over to me and I start to read them.

Dear sweetheart,

If you are reading this you probably think that I am dead.

Don’t  worry sweetheart , I’m safe and sound down in New America, I know you’re probably cursing under your breath right now but just let me explain.

I left you and the others for the better, You’ve probably noticed that things aren’t the way they used to be in our district.

As soon as you and Cato won the games riots broke out, and I don’t mean a small mob of about 10 people with pitchforks, I mean hundreds and thousands if not millions of people with guns, bombs and power.

People can do a lot with power as you can see, it get’s to your head.

This is all why I am here in New America, it was the land that used to be Mexico, before the dark days , citizens from America flocked there in their millions to escape the horrible rulings of Panem, the people that didn’t get out in time are you and I today.

Rebel movements are growing more in size and power.

They look up to you Katniss, they see you as their Mockingjay.

You are the face of the Second Rebellion.

If you’re wondering what I am doing down here , I am here with a number of other people such as Victors, Rebels and Government officials from New America, we are trying to organise the finishing touches before battle begins.

Get in shape Katniss, You have a long journey ahead of you.

I’ll see you soon Sweetheart,

From Haymitch

“He’s alive”, I cry in happiness.

“He left a map”, Cato says.

“Now what?”, Cato asks.

“We go to him as soon as possible”, I say standing up and wiping the tears.