The Marble (Aaron and Ruby)

“Ok Aaron, lets see if we can find the root of this little issue about you feeling the need to cut yourself.”

“Look, I don’t need a therapist ok. My life sucks, and who the hell is gonna care if I disappear?”

“A lot of people will miss you Aaron…”

“Yea like who? My mom is trying to kick me out, my dad left us for some slut on the street, and all my friends are killing themselves.”

“Well do you think its right to kill yourself if your friends are?”

“God you’re stupid I’m not doing it because their doing it, I’m doing it because I’m losing the only people who actually care.”

“Well I’m sure many people care about you.”

“You know I’m only here because of court orders, it’s not like you have to do your job. Just send me back to my room because you’re not getting any more information out of me and you sure as hell aren’t getting through.”

“I am determined to work with you until we find this issues root and why it started.”

“You wanna know why it started, well when my mom tried to kick me out, SHE grabbed my arm and cut me and SHE is the one who started this crap. It distracted all the mental pain so I kept it up. Can I leave now?”

“Tell me Aaron have you ever loved someone?”

“What the hell does that have anything to do with…”

“Can you please answer my question?”

“Uh… Yea a long time ago it doesn’t make a difference anymore.”

“Well maybe it does can we talk about it?”

“I was still in grade school and it was the only girl that would talk to me, she was nice, sweet, and pretty. I liked her so much I gave her a blue and green mixed marble that matched her eyes before she left. It doesn’t even matter; I was maybe 10 when it happened I didn’t even know what the hell love was.”

“Still it might be possible…”

A knock at the door interrupted the obnoxious therapist that was antagonizing me for hours.

“Yes come in.”

A gorgeous girl poked her head in and said, “Hey dad, Alice wants to speak with you about one of your patients.”

“Oh ok thanks sweetheart, can you stay here while I go talk to her?”

“If you stop calling me sweetheart,” she said walking in and sitting on the desk facing me.

“Well that’s not happening, I’ll be right back,” he said patting her head.

She pulled her head away from his hand and fixed her semi-long black and blonde hair. She was sitting facing me and when she looked up her eyes met my gaze. The first time in a long time I couldn’t get a word out, her eyes were a deep mix of green and blue, which made me think of the girl I gave the marble to, but this couldn’t be her.

“Well what does my dad have you here for?”

“Uh… oh nothing something stupid, it’s really none of his or anyone else business.”

“Ah… I see,” she leaned down to my ear so no one in the hall would hear her. “You’re a cutter too?”

“What,” I was so shocked that was the only thing that came out. “You cut?” I said in a low tone voice.

She leaned back and rolled up the sleeve of her jacket and showed me her wrists, she had more cuts then I but for some reason I wanted to know why. I could pretty much guess it was because her dad was a therapist but I still wanted to know.