Chapter 30-Escape at last

My heart was pounding a mile a minute.

Could I find him? Could I get away from the sleepiness nights, the pain and finally be safe? Could I get away from the feeling of betrayal...

No! I told to myself. You are not allowed to think about Colin! Just focus of finding him.

I hugged my knees for a moment, my chin resting on them.

My eyes scanned my room. You would be saying goodbye to all of this...

What if something happened and I never came back?

Would you want to come back anyway?

I couldn't answer any of those questions.

Who is he though? Is there any record of him anywhere?

I closed my eyes tightly trying to remember anything that Mum had said about him. We had never talked about him though. He was always just Dad who left his two children to be brought up by their mother.

If only I could picture him in my head...

Pictures! I sprang off my bed and rushed over to my shelf and grabbed the photo album that I had saved when Jason was clearing out the house.

I flicked through the pages and found only one picture of him.

Ash blonde hair, tall, the opposite of me.

There was a name scrawled next to it:

Chris.

There were various lines angrily drawn over the word-probably from Mum-but I could still make out the name.

My last name was Johnson, was that Mum's maiden name or was it his name?

I cursed myself for not knowing and bent down and picked up my phone, cringing as I heard the glass move. Luckily it was only shattered on the back and so I fitted a case on and it seemed to keep it in place.

I hurriedly searched online for the phone book and then in it for Chris Johnson.

There were three of them in England. I closed my eyes and pressed my finger down onto one of the names.

Gotta start somewhere right?

Was I actually doing this? Leaving everything behind?

I paused for a moment and then realised that if I didn't then I would never find the answers to my question: why did he leave?

I tiptoed up to the door and bent down, looking through the gap under the door.

There were two familiar baseball shoes; he was still outside waiting. I bit my lip and looking around. My eyes fell on the window.

I started throwing anything I could into my bag. Clothes, make-up, brush, the photo album, the snow globe, anything that would fit.

I slowly zipped up the bag and looked at my music. My hand skimmed over the ragged cases of my violin, clarinet and my keyboard.

After a moment of hesitation I grabbed the guitar case and swung it over my shoulder and reached to open the window.

The cool night's breeze hit my face and I shivered: it was going to be a long night.

I climbed through the open window and onto the flat roof bellow. The window closed with a click and that was the last I saw of that bedroom.

I shakily clambered down the fence which ran along the side of the wall and a moment later I felt the soft grass beneath my shoes and I took one last look behind me at the house I knew. The memories flew through my mind: Mum smiling. Me, Liam, Jason, Sam and Cal playing in the grass, me laughing.

Then all the bad memories came: The news that Mum was dead, the screaming in the night, the slap from Jason, the fight with Liam and finally the memory of Colin...

"Goodbye nightmare." I whispered into the silent night air.

And with that I turned my back on my past and carried on down to the gate at the end of my garden. A gate to the unknown...

_________________________________

Hi everyone!

Yep she's gone! Sailed away from the safe harbour! I don't really don't know how to introduce this authors note...

Anyway!

The main reason I am writing this note is because I wanted to ask you all something: should I write an extra chapter with Colin's perspective of this or carry on as normal?

It really depends on what you guys would like to read! Let me know what you think :-)

Also sorry that this isn't edited yet...I have a super sore throat right now and I'm hoping that it's not tonsillitis (I don't think it is though)!

Vote if you liked it!

Thanks again,

Charlotte :-D