Chapter 13

Hazel eyes flecked with green and browns looked down at me with concern etched into their depths. A heavy thump resonated in my chest at the amount of worry his eyes held for me as his face hovered just above my own. Warm breaths of air smelling like mint plants fanned across my face from the slight part in his lips. His broad chest rose and fell as he evened his breathing and adjusted his hands that were planted on either side of my head in a harmless manner. Locks of dirty blonde hair hung loosely from his scalp, shading his face from the sun and almost tickling my cheeks. Trying to collect my bearings, I found it difficult with the proximity of our forms, the heat radiating from his body like a fire and the intent stare he was looking at me with.

Why was he staring at me like that?

I sucked in a sharp breath as his hand moved from the corner of my eye and came into focus by my cheek. Shivers spread across my skin as his fingertips delicately brushed away the hair splayed across my face, so careful as if I would break under his calming touch. Returning my eyes to lock with his, I felt the familiar strange butterflies awakening in my stomach as he cautiously leaned down. What was he doing?! Heart accelerating, I couldn't escape his attentive gaze. His head continuing to descent... lower... lower...

"Are you oka-"

Panicking, I flung my bound wrists towards Wesley's head and a thud emanated from the spot I connected to, followed by a grunt of pain. His weight lifted off me instantly and I didn't hesitate to scramble to my feet, ignoring the angry protests from my side.

Backing away hastily from Wesley's form wobbling to his feet, I halted when the rope rubbed against my wrists indicating there was no more slack.

Flinching away when he returned to his full height, his features were set in a tight grimace, his palm pressed against his temple which would no doubt be throbbing from the blow I had given him. Slightly dazed, he gradually removed his hand, wincing in the process while looking back at me with bewilderment written all over his face.

"You have a very odd way of showing gratitude," Wesley muttered grimly, grimacing as he pressed his palm back against the blotchy red spot where I had struck him.

A fog of confusion settled over me at his words. Thank you? Why would I-

Oh...

Realization at what he did for me struck my mind and I immediately regretted hitting him. He had thrown himself into me in order to push me out of the way before I was pummeled by that horse and wooden contraption attached to it. He had risked getting hit himself to protect me... Casting my gaze downwards to escape his hard gaze that easily showed how unimpressed he was, I bit my lip in embarrassment and intertwined my fingers together.

"I-I- My quiet, scratchy voice stunned me and I glanced at Wesley to see that he wasn't even paying attention to me. He hadn't noticed my failed attempt at speaking.

Why was I so timid all of a sudden? Walking into Avalin I was a fuming mess and now I was that shy little girl hiding behind her mother for protection. What was wrong with me? How was I even supposed to apologize for hurting him or thank him for throwing himself in harm's way to save me?

A thought slammed into me.

He was a hunter. I would never apologize for hurting someone who has caused my family and I so much grief and suffering. He was a part of the group that murdered Mother. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself when I noticed my skin prickling, hinting me to shift and tear him to shreds like I so dearly wanted to do. I needed to cool my anger down. As much as I wanted to show him the same torture he put my mother through, I couldn't let my self-control slip away. To him, I was just some girl they found in the forest who knew nothing of their doings. If they found out what I really was...