Chapter Nine || It's kinda freaky that she knows my timetable ||

Chapter Nine

|| It’s kinda freaky that she knows my timetable ||

James

Monday Morning

She’s dating him. She’s dating that fucking idiot.

The fucking idiot is your best friend, said a voice in my head but I dumped it down.

Everyone has a limit to their patience. Sadly, my quota of that particular virtue is limited. That’s why when Arjun comes up to Ben, Elita and me in college, and tells us that Kiara has agreed to be his girlfriend, I lose it. I walk off in anger.

I know, I know. I’m a horrible friend.

In a blind rage, I walk towards the library.  It’s one of the few places Arjun and Ben won’t follow me to. I don’t understand why I am so pissed about Arjun dating Kiara. I rest my head on my hands that are resting on the table and shut my eyes.

“James,” a voice I could recognize anywhere calls out. I’ve been better with remembering things. Ben had given me a couple of photo albums which had greatly speeded up the process.

“Hey Elita,” I answer her jadedly, lifting my head up.

“Hey, what happened to you back there? You okay?” She asks me gently.

“Nothing, I don’t really know. When Arjun said he’s dating Kiara it was like I saw red. He must feel terrible now, because I sure as hell do.” I answer, realizing my actions were incredibly selfish.

“He’s your friend. He understands you’re going through a tough time these days. But that’s not what I came here for.” She replies.

“What did you come here for then?”

“I understand your life is a mess right now, you can’t remember half of the things-”

“-I can’t remember anything!” I answer indignantly.

“Yeah, well, we’re helping you with that. What I want to tell you is that, I understand Kiara’s the only thing close to your past life right now. But you aren’t a kid any more. And neither is she. You guys have different lives. If you have any feelings for her, I suggest you try and keep them to yourself-”

“What? What are you talking about?! What feelings?” I splutter while she grins at me.

“James, I’ve known you since five years. Ben and I have been your closest friends since you changed schools in seventh grade. And, although Ben might be an idiot, I’m not. I know you have a soft spot for Kiara. And, I also know why. And, that’s why I advise you to stuff it out of sight or else her boyfriend or her extremely perceptive sister might come to know and then all hell will break lose.”

I sigh. Elita knows me better than myself right now. I nod, and she smiles at me, satisfied, pats my arm and leaves for her lecture.

I resume my previous position with my head on the table and shut my eyes again. And, this time, instead of Elita’s voice, a flashback of a memory interrupts my contemplation.

_______

We were in the garden, the one in our building, where there was a slide, a couple of swings and a see – saw.

Kiara and I were on that see – saw, we looked around eight or nine years old. And, then I started realizing I could remember my feelings on that particular day.

As we played on it, going up and down, I sat down, making Kiara go high up in the air. As, I watched the smile light up her face I knew that I was in love with her. Even though it meant I wouldn’t have any fun, I let Kiara stay up because I knew she was happy.