Chapter Two || It's That Time Again ||

|| It’s that time again ||

Kiara

I wake up the next morning to a pounding head and my phone blaring ‘Moves Like Jagger’ by Maroon Five. And then with a jolt, I remember the events of last night.

‘James. Accident. Hospital.’

I decided to visit him today. After all, he had been my friend since ages. I shut the alarm on my phone and make a move to get off my bed. And, that’s when I notice the dull pain in my abdomen. Oi vey.

I’m pretty sure that once I die and go up to heaven, (yeah, I absolutely have no doubts about that), God is going to have some seriously awkward questions to answer to. Like, why in the bloody hell are we women still facing the punishment for what Eve did? Wasn't he a forgiving, compassionate and all those awesome adjectives God? And more importantly, why the hell are men not facing this? I mean, Adam ate the apple too! He should be punished too.

Here I go rambling again.

I still think it isn’t fair that only we women bear this pain!

According to this legend in Hindu Mythology that we studied during a Personal Values class, the Gods were the ones who use to work in the fields and they used to give birth to kids from their sides – under their arms. The legend goes that the Goddesses took pity on them and took the curse (or blessing, depending on whatever you think) of childbirth from them, and since then women give birth and have to face all that other crap too.

Eh, if I was in their place, I doubt I’d be so generous after feeling the pain of the ‘time of the month’.

While thinking about all of this, I'd brushed and finished dressing up for college. As usual I chose to keep it simple in black skinny jeans and a navy blue tee. I’m your average t-shirt and jeans girl. Dresses are like my kryptonite.

I get out of my bedroom, searching my parents. I walk into the hall and grab a piece of toast off the dining table and shove it in my mouth. Charming, I know. I put on my converse; grab my hoodie and sling my bag over my shoulders before yelling, “Bye Ma, Bye Dad.” Mom and Dad are probably in the bedroom searching for something that dad misplaced as usual. Yesterday, he’d misplaced his wallet and as I walk to the door I notice his car keys that he’s most likely turning the bedroom upside – down for. “Dad, the keys are on the table in the hall,” I scream again before my mom comes out and takes the keys and goes back after telling me to be careful and to take care on the trains.  

I find Carollyn and Anushka waiting for me at the train station. They have the usual look on their face, I’m not very punctual. They always get me out of the house five minutes earlier just in case. 

We just about had time to greet each other when the train arrives. We get in and quickly sit down on the first seats we snatch. The Mumbai local trains are a dicey lot. You never know if you’re getting a seat, and if you do, thank your lucky stars and be content, since you’re probably not getting one the next time.

I interrupt the conversation they’re having about Carollyn’s new top with the grim news of James’ accident.

“James Fernandes? That guy who was your best friend once upon a time?” Carollyn echoes in shock after listening to me.

I nod, “Apparently some drunk driver rammed into him and he got hit pretty badly on the head. His bike skidded on the road and he suffered some really serious injuries.”

Anushka whistled, “Whoa. Now, even if you don’t drink and drive there’s still a risk that you can get into an accident. That’s really unfair. I hope he doesn’t have any major injuries that last.”