Chapter Eight || Insanity is contagious -You get it from your friends' ||

Chapter Eight

|| Insanity is contagious –You get it from your friends’ ||

 Kiara

Ugh, it’s Monday morning again. I hate Mondays. Like almost half the world, I also support the thing for a ‘Monday-less’ week. Oh, and to top it off, this weekend did not go according to my expectations at all. It all starts when Arjun turns up at five in the evening on Saturday to take me on my very first date. And, this is how it went.

**

Saturday Evening

It was around four, and I am walking around in my room literally seconds away from blowing a fuse. I am not sure what to wear for the bloody date. And, Arjun is going to be here in less than an hour.

What to do. What do other girls do? Does everyone just automatically know what to do on a date? Did I not get that pamphlet on first dates?

Finally, after Alyssa comes in and yells at me about my ‘thunderous footsteps’ I cave in and tell her my problem. For a change, she plays the helpful elder sister’s part down to the T. She chooses an outfit for me while I take a shower. When I come back, she has gone back outside and there is a light green t-shirt which says ‘Insanity is contagious – You get it from your friends’; and my pair dark blue jeans kept on my bed.

‘Leave your hair open’, says a note on the bed. Hmm, I guess this is the casual look I was going for.

I put on the clothes, apply some cream and some mascara. I pick out my pair of blue converse and string in neon green laces and I’m just about done when the doorbell rings.

“Hi, come on in.” I told Arjun as I open the door, “My mom’s in the kitchen, she says she’d like to meet you. I tried, but I couldn’t budge her decision.” I tell him with an awkward smile.

“Hey, it’s all cool. I’d love to meet your mom.” He answers, smiling at me.

Thank God Alyssa had gone to the market to buy groceries. Her questions to Arjun would have definitely made my face turn red. Seriously, I’ve seen her grill her best friend’s boyfriend and it was not a pretty sight.

“Mom, Arjun’s here” I yell, once I’ve made him sit on the couch.

After an awkward ten minutes with my mom questioning Arjun about his college life and what’d he’d be doing after college, (a standard conversation with Indian parents), Mom finally lets us leave for our date. He tells me he was taking me to this place called ‘Daphne’s’ for a bite to eat.

Kind of like an evening snack. I like it.

Arjun tells me it’s close enough to walk, so we don’t need to take the bus. We walk leisurely, discussing ordinary things.

“So, how have you been?” He asks me once he’s exhausted his conversation topics supply.

I smirk, “Arjun, we’d only seen each other yesterday.”  The poor boy seems nervous, so I decide to put him out of his misery and start a proper conversation.

“So, tell me about yourself, do you have any siblings?” Damn, bad topic. When he’ll ask me about her, as he most probably will, I’d have to tell him about Alyssa.

We’ve finally reached and the hostess smiles and shows us to a booth. We both place our orders; mine a grilled cheese chicken sandwich and his, a chicken mayo burger, both served with sprite.

We return back to our conversation. “Well, I have two younger sisters – one’s twelve and the other one’s seven. Well, the older, Shanaya is a bit moody now that I’ve started getting protective of her, but Dhruvi, the younger one is a doll.” He grins sheepishly and then asks me, “What about you?”