The Beginning

It had been a rainy day and Hiccup had deemed it worthy of a study day for his upcoming English 101 final. He had been curled up wearing his khaki jeans and a green sweater covered with his black and gray argyle sweater, his hair straight and lying just above his black rimmed glasses. Hiccup had the book placed on his lap and he was jotting down notes on the story he was given to read with his cat, Toothless, curled up beside him. Toothless was lying on his back and Hiccup was gently rubbing the cats stomach as he took the notes. After a few minutes the brunette finished the remaining notes that he needed and shut the book gently so he wouldn't disturb his pet. Hiccup then trailed his emerald eyes to the window and watched the rain come down like a small waterfall on the glass. He let out a sigh and pulled his phone from his pocket and checked the time, 'Only 1:05..'. He slid the phone in his pocket and stood up. He went and grabbed his jacket and pulled it on and Hiccup then grabbed a basket and walked over to the couch and picked up Toothless. He opened one side of the basket up and slid the cat inside with a smile. "Let's go get coffee, bud."

Hiccup left the apartment and made sure his door was locked before pulling his hood up. He went to the elevator and pressed the button for the first floor and once it made it to the floor he stepped off of the elevator and made his way out of the complex. Hiccup began to walk and looked around for a coffee shop and let out an exasperated sigh as there weren't any near his apartment. He kept on until about, three blocks away, he stumbled upon one. He smiled as he hurried inside and went to a table and promptly sat himself down with the basket on his lap. He then opened the basket and Toothless popped his head out and began to sniff the air before looking at Hiccup with a tilted head.

"We're at a coffee shop, bud. Stay in there and I'll get you some milk." He told the feline with a wide smile and began to pet the cats head. Hiccup went off into a daze as he began to remember how he first acquired his pet. He recalled how it was about mid-August when he arrived in this city for college and it was a day pretty much like today. He had been walking home from his first day of classes when he heard a commotion in an alley and decided to investigate. Now, Hiccup normally wouldn't investigate something in a dark alley but it didn't sound like humans so he ventured down the alley. He had came upon a stray dog attacking a cat, Toothless, and his eyes widened. He couldn't just let this happen. Hiccup had frantically grabbed a trashcan lid and began to bang it against a wall. It successfully scared the dog away but not before the dog took a good bite out of Hiccup's ankle and the cat lied there rather hurt, with part of his tail injured. Hiccup cringed and ignored the pain. He fell to the ground and the cat backed away and Hiccup tilted his head down and held out his hand to the cat. The cat hesitated before placing his head into his saviors hand, which had formed their instant bond.

Hiccup smiled faintly at the memory as he pet his beloved cats head,but, while in his little daze a waiter approached his table, "Hi, I'm Jack and I'll be your waiter for today! How may I help you?"

That small sentence had practically given Hiccup a heart attack and he took a deep breath before turning his attention to the male. He quickly shut the lid to the basket and leaned on it before letting out an awkward laugh. The waiter was rather tall with hair as white as snow and eyes that were a bright blue and pale skin. Hiccup smiled at the waiter before looking at the table. "Uh, I just want a regular coffee with a side of milk...Because I drink the milk separately! I definitely don't have anything in here."

Jack let out a laugh as when Hiccup said that Toothless had managed to work a paw through the top and was waving it around. Once Hiccup noticed, he grew a faint blush from pure embarrassment and nodded. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. One coffee with milk on the side coming right up." Jack said as he walked back to gather the order. Now, Hiccup had never been that good with social interaction, I mean, he has been in this city for ten months and his only friend is a cat. He was rather reserved due to the fact that where he came from, unless you were on a sport and were strong, then you meant nothing. Hiccup was the opposite, he liked school and was small and lanky and he didn't have an ounce of muscle on his body. So, as soon as he graduated high school he went as far away as he could. That's why he didn't bother making friends, he knew that people would just make fun of him so, what was the point.

While Jack was making the order he kept his eyes on the brunette every so often and thought the boy looked familiar. Turns out, they go to the same college. Jack was the opposite of Hiccup because, he liked to have fun, be social, and just wasn't that weak. Jack played on the soccer team in the fall and in the spring he did track, so he had a pretty fit body. He shook his head as he stared at the brunette and gathered the order, bringing it to the table and sat the food down. Hiccup quietly thanked the man and grabbed his wallet and was about to pay when Jack stopped him. "Hey, it's your first time here so it's on the house, okay? Just make sure you come back." Jack said with a warm smile.

Hiccup blinked and looked up at Jack and smiled and gave Jack a nod, "Thank you, and yeah I'll be sure to come back." Jack gave another smile, but this time it was with those pearly whites of his and Hiccup just stared before he gave his rather awkward smile and Jack waved before going back to the counter. Once Jack was gone, Hiccup opened the lid to the basket and grabbed the small cup of milk and sat it inside for Toothless, who instantly began to lap up the milk. Hiccup gave a warm smile as he watched his cat and he grasped his coffee and took a small sip after he blew on it to cool it off. He then trailed his gaze to look around the empty cafe and smiled at the style. It was a french-style cafe, which was rather cliche, but Hiccup thought it had a homey feel to it.

Jack was cleaning the counter and kept moving his gaze to Hiccup and each time, he grew a faint smile at how the boy could look so intrigued by the little shop. "Hey, I never got your name, by the way." Hiccup shook his head and looked back at the white-haired male, giving him a small smile. "My name is Hiccup...Oh, I know it's a weird name but it's kind of family tradition.. Aha..." Jack gave a smile and dropped the rag, moving to sit at the table across from Hiccup.

"I kinda like the name, it's really...unique. Better than Jack, it's really common but it's short for Jackson. My dad has a weird name though, his name is North."

"North, like the cardinal direction?" Well, that had sounded less dorky in his head but he smiled nonetheless..

"Yeah, exactly. It's weird right? My full name is Jackson Overland Frost. It's weird once said in full." He smiled and placed his elbow on the table and lied his chin on the palm on his hand.

"Not as weird as mine... It's uh... Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third... And yeah, that is really my name." Hiccup grew a sheepish smile and moved a hand to rub his neck a he looked up at Jack through his lashes.

"Wait, no joke right...? That's awesome! It makes you sound all fierce, like a viking or something!" Jack was hosting the widest smile by now and had leaned in closer to the brunette in immense interest.

"Really..? That's the first time anyone has said that. I guess it does sound kind of fierce. Your name makes me think of, winter. It's really calming, in a way." Hiccup had grown to smile more by this point and was just in utter bliss. For once he was making a friend... A friend!

"Thanks, glad you like it~. I'll be here all week, literally. I work here every single day. It's my dads side business whenever he isn't at the store watching over the toy production, so... It's pretty much mine." Jack let out a small laugh as he watched Hiccup.

"This is yours? That's amazing... I wish I had a job like this but... I can't make coffee and..." Hiccup was cut short by the ringing of his cellphone and he jumped slightly and pulled it out of his pocket and read the name, 'Dad...ugh.' "I'm sorry! I have to take this, I think I should just go.." Hiccup nodded and took the tiny cup out of the basket and sat it on the table before he stood up and went to the door, carrying the basket and phon to one ear.

"Hey! Come back tomorrow and I can see if dad will give you a job here, he'll be here!" Jack picked up both cups and looked at Hiccup.

Hiccup gave a nod and a smile before he exited the shop and answered the call and stood outside the cafe to pull up his hood before walking off in a conversation with his dad. Once Hiccup left, Jack had went back to cleaning and began to wash the cups. 'I bet that was his girlfriend... Oh well, maybe he'll come back tomorrow and we can work together and become better friends... It'd be a change from Tiana, Sandy, and Mundy.' He just shook his head and continued on his work.