27) Not So Kalm

YOU GUYS SHOULD TOTALLY GO WATCH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYrx5wqKuE BEST THING EVER ;) IF YOU CAN'T USE THE LINK, THEN MESSAGE ME FOR IT BECAUSE I WASTED A FULL 18 HOURS MAKING THIS ^.^ THAT'S ONLY IF IT DOESN'T LOAD FOR THIS CHAPTER THOUGH. IT SHOULD BE ABOVE.

Stomping through the woods first thing in the morning isn't exactly my idea of a good way to start the day. Then again, neither does stomping through the woods all night after having one of the things I care about most push me away and threaten to leave if I don't get my act together. She doesn't understand, and I don't see how that is my fault. The muttering she was talking about, I only do that when Chaos is driving me crazy. Talking in my sleep isn't all that normal for me, but if the nightmare's bad enough... And somehow her negativity is all my fault? And I remind her of Reno? Even thinking of that man and what he did makes me feel ill.

Ruka barks behind me happily, tail wagging and tongue flopping about. Her paws pad across the forest floor quietly, the occasional twig snapping and a leaf crunching every once in awhile. She gives me a look that Violet insists is a smile, deep brown eyes reminding me of Luc... No. Is this what Violet was talking about? Of course, she can't read my mind, but... Could it be Shadow? The demon can't read minds either, or at least I don't think so, but she can read emotions like Chaos, right?

That pesky demon has been the root of many problems lately. While Galian has become milder, Shadow has been taking Violet all the time and attacking anything in sight. Every time she frees herself, one of us winds up hurt physically, and a few times it's been Ruka that's saved me from getting my head lopped off. I'd really like to know what that monster has against me.

"Hey Vince!" I look up upon hearing Violet calling me, cell phone to her ear. "Cid wants you to get the #&%+ on the phone!" I raise an eyebrow a her, silently scolding her language. My pace doesn't speed up, however, because this a is a call I feel that I should be dreading. When I finally do get to our small campsite, she hands me the phone and turns to dig through her backpack.

"Yes?" I say into the receiver, settling on the dirt in my usual position, my arm hooked around one knee.

"Did ya do somethin' to piss Vi off?"

"No, I did not," I huff. "Why does it matter?"

"Said she gave ya three days left to forget her sister or somethin'. Doesn't that matter to you?"

"It was an overreaction, Highwind. I'm sure she would never do such a thing."

"I just don't want you to get left behind again, ya know? 'specially with her. I can tell she's special to ya." I sigh, face falling into its natural frown.

"I appreciate your concern, Chief, but it is not necessary. I can handle it on my own."

"Quit bein' so ^&()*#&^( stubborn! Vi doesn't deserve this from anyone after all the *()% she's been through."

"I don't doubt it, though I don't see how you could possibly be so protective." When he begins to shout, I hold the speaker away from my ear with a wince.

"What the *$*^$ has gotten into you?! She's the best &#%) thing that's ever happened to you and when she leaves, don't come cryin' to me!"

"I see. It was nice speaking to you. Goodbye." I hang up abruptly, tossing the device back to Violet. She catches it easily whilst taking a bite out of a granola bar from her bag. Isn't that the old one..? I sigh and push my heavy bangs out of my face. "How does one eat as much as you and yet remain so thin?"

"How does one eat as little as you and still remain alive?" She fires back sarcastically. I fight the smile that tugs at the corner of my mouth and give her a sidelong glance.