4) Theme Park

"Huh? Oh another customer. You sure picked an out of the way place but... But if it's the Keystone you're looking for, you're too late. Don't have it." Cloud blinks at the man, confused.

"Keystone?" A frown graces his lips. I won't lie, the shopkeeper is entirely correct. We are in the middle of nowhere. A Keystone?

A stone used as a key.

I wouldn't have guessed...

"What?" The weapons maker begins to look confused. "You didn't come here for that? The Keystone is the key that unlocks the gate to a very old temple somewhere. You're not going to believe your ears, but I heard it was to the Temple of Ancients."

"The Temple of Ancients..." Cloud repeats. I resist the urge to sigh. I really don't think Cloud makes a good leader for this group with this thick head of his. I look around the building to calm my annoyance, studying the upper part of the house where different weapons hang on the walls. Several work tables lie about and chests of materials line the corners of the room. Violet scowls up at me as the man chuckles.

"Don't take it seriously, it's just a legend!"

"Where is this Keystone?" Cloud presses.

He certainly is persistent.

And that's what annoys me.

I shake my head slightly. No. Stop talking to the demon. You're not that low yet.

"Sold it already. Yeah, to tell you the truth, I didn't really want to sell it but... That guy had a way about him that made you feel like it might not be a good idea not to sell it to him."

"Who did you sell it to?" Our leader asks, sounding a bit irritated by all of these answers. Who would want to buy a Keystone to a legendary place, I wonder? Maybe a curious adventurer?

"The manager of the Gold Saucer. Think his name was Dio. Said he was going to put it in his museum and took off."

Definitely sounds like an explorer.

Don't talk to me.

Cloud looks at the group and nods. Then we leave and walk some unfamiliar dirt road to whatever this Gold Saucer is. This is a perfect time to think about what I am going to do about Violet. I cannot keep changing my mind. She connat continue to live. She did not finish walhat she was supposed to. A tool... That's what she needs to be to me no matter what the circumstances. Nothing else. She's human no longer.

Neither are you.

No, I'm not. And I also do not deserve to live.

She failed just like me, but she doesn't want to atone.... How does one live like that?

"Ya know, ya think yer so tough, but you don't scare me. Ya look too young," Cid says to Violet. She scowls at him.

"I'm older than you."

"How do you know?"

"I watched you grow up," she gives him a bland look. "You and your girlfriend all... Shera was it? And your uncle and aunt, they were nice parents."

"Frikin' stalker," Cid murmurs, lighting a cigarette. "I know I ain't supposed to ask women this, but how old are ya?"

"Around fifty four-ish."

Fifty four. I've been asleep thirty years... I frown and look down at Nanaki. The cat suddenly starts laughing along with Barret and I turn to see that Highwind has fallen onto his rear and Violet is hiding a sheepish smile. Did she...?