The Truth Behind the Wings

PROLOGUE

"They are twins! And they are both girls!" Aya Valentine burst out of her son's bedroom where his wife had given birth to two beautiful miracles.

Her son, the nobleman, Robert Valentine stopped pacing and stared at his mother's excited face with shock and something close to fear. A daughter to be born in this country was an impossible occurrence. And more than one girl was unthinkable! How could that have happened when this beautiful and prosperous land was cursed by the Goddess of Equality and Justice herself? 

It might have been the grimace on Sir Robert's handsome face or his words of denial that made Aya scowl. "It is no joke my son! See for yourself -- "

"Master." Lady Aya was interrupted by the appearance of a midwife. "Lady."

"What is it?" Robert asked distractedly for he could hear the soft cries of protests from the inside and his heart welled with thick emotions...love and pride. His daughters! His precious girls! He was so absorbed in his joyous thoughts that he almost missed the four cursed words the midwife uttered with nervousness.

"Your wife is dead."

"What...?" And in that instant his bubble of happiness popped leaving him nothing but shattered happiness- or in other words, sadness and two precious daughters... two very beautiful daughters...

STORY BEHIND THE CURSE

Vast green land, green blue seas, crystal clear lakes, deep blue sky with the exception of rainy days, nature kissed surroundings and tranquillity were some of the many features of the gorgeous place known as 'Oasis' - a country named after its blessed environment. Though this land was beautiful, the men living on it were not. They were so entranced by beauty that they treated women like beautiful possessions - dolls, to sum it up in one word. Lifeless dolls to be played with when wanted and thrown away when not needed.

There weren't and still aren't enough words to describe the cruelty women in that era faced in the rough hands of these barbaric men. Being sold to practice prostitution was a common  and a less harsh scenario compared to others. Wives were treated no better than dogs. Baby girls were abandoned in the forests or on top of mountains. Young girls were treated like slaves. All females, with the exception of none, were mistreated one way or another. 

The Goddess of Equality and Justice, being a woman herself, could not stand this treacherous attitude so she warned the people fruitlessly. Angered by the negligence of the people she was supposed to be protecting, she cursed the country. 'No woman shall be born on this land until all the dark emotions fade from within you men!'. She informed the King of Oasis angrily in one of his dreams. 

True to her words, all the women disappeared along with her the following day leaving no trace behind. Since then, no girl has been born on this land. The men, at first, appeared unaffected by the sudden lack of females from their lives but soon realized what they were missing. But instead of repenting for their mistakes and asking for forgiveness from the Goddess, they started to bring women from different lands as their betrothed!

Thousands of years passed but no girl was born. Foreign women were treated with more respect but none of them were blessed enough to nurture a girl within her. But on the 27th of October, exactly after 3000 years, Eva Valentine delivered two beautiful girls who broke the curse. Eva Valentine was the first woman to be so unselfishly loved by a man that she was chosen to bear two daughters. Unfortunately, she couldn't cope up with the delivery and died.

Robert Valentine, her husband, was devastated by the loss of his wife but he stayed strong for his twin daughters. Watching them grow each day only deepened his love for his deceased wife. But a tragic accident made him join his beloved Eva leaving the twins orphaned at the age of seven.

Being Valentine Princesses, they were ensured with an opulent life but not even the luxurious palaces could heal their yearning for their parents through their path to adulthood. The midwives had witnessed a pair of wings behind each of the girls right after their birth. 

Serena with strawberry blond hair and pale blue eyes had pure white wings while Dakota, the younger of the two, with deep violet eyes and hair as dark as the night sky possessed black wings. But they appeared and disappeared in a blink of an eye. So fast that the midwives couldn't believe their own eyes an thought of it as nothing but an illusion. But they were wrong.

On the night of the 26th of October, the King at that time had a dream in which an old man appeared. 'Tomorrow, a girl will be born who will possess  shocking amount of bad luck which will not only affect her but also everyone dear to her.', the man had stated. 

His words were vague and misinterpreted considering that not one but two girls came into the world the following day. Having witnessed to have possessed black - a color of evil and everything bad - wings, Dakota was assumed to be the child the old man talked about in the King's dream by everyone. The events that followed after her birth only lead to strengthen that conclusion.

Nevertheless, they both grew up to be well respected and loved by the people as being 'the gifts of the Goddess'. Though they both had the same beautiful features, they developed completely different personalities. Where Dakota was kind, innocent and compassionate, Serena was mean, shrewd and selfish.

Being known as a 'good luck charm' compared to her sister, Serena Valentine married the King's only son, David Everheart. A man who possessed the same personality traits as his new wife. Serena used her younger sister's naivety and love to her own selfish advantage. This story reveals the truth behind the wings and the secrets revolving around the two sisters and their mysterious births.