Twelve

Twelve

The final bell rang, stating that the class had ended for the day; that's when my heart started to thumped faster than normal. I don't know why I was so nervous to meet Nick; maybe it was the fact that he is going to tell me something. After I put my unneeded books in my locker, I went straight to the parking lot to get it over with. For a moment I thought that he was just playing me; then, that's when I saw him. He was leaning by his sports car, tapping his feet in impatience.

I stood there, a few feet away from him, prolonging the moment just to see if he gives up and just walk away. But, someone called Nick behind me, making him look at my direction.

"Oi! Nick! Aren't you going to practice?"The boy, who I knew was named Cameron, said and walked up to him.

"Yea, I'll be there... I'm meeting someone for a few minutes..."He said, glancing at his way for a moment and walked towards me.

In that instant, I was debating whether to walk away or stay. But by the facial expression he was giving me, I couldn't even move an inch. His eyes were tantalizing, making me hypnotize and hooked by his very presence.

"What took you so long?" He asked as he stopped a few meters away from me.

I look away from him, snapping out of his stare and look up again, this time unaffected. "We were just dismissed... what do you want to tell me anyways that seems so important?"I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

Instead of giving me his usual, cocky comebacks, he just stared at me with a serious expression. The longer he kept that stance, the more uncomfortable I got.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked, trying to make him stop.

"So, you are dating my cousin. What do you see in him that you not see in me?" he said, his facial expression unchanging.

"Is that all you're going to say to me? To ask me if I was dating your cousin?"I asked in frustration. "Wow... way to waste my precious time..." I added, annoyed.

"Not really... That was just something random... I heard Rob and Tony talked about it during gym..." he said with his signature smirk, chuckling at my sudden overreaction.

"Argh!" I let out in frustration, making my hand clench into a first. "Can you cut to the chase? I don't have time to spare..." I said angrily.

He continued to chuckle for a moment until my mood got to him. "I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself when the opportunity came..." He stated in a whisper, and shook his head in concentration, but started smiling again.

"Get it out already... you're prolonging my suffering..."I said with a scowl.

"Wow... I'm not that... okay... okay..." he started but stopped when he realized I was totally pissed. He took a deep breath to come himself and looked at me with a neutral expression. "I saw that friend of yours... your brother's friend... he was talking to someone from your father's company." He finally said his voice almost soft as a whisper.

I stood there, stunned by his words. "That can't be tt..rue... Maybe he was trying to find out about something..."I said my voice shook. I grab my phone from my backpack and scrolled down on the contact, looking for Adam's number.

When Nick understood my actions, he grabs the phone away from me, surprising me. "You can't call him. He'll know we're on to him... if he is with them, then you're screwed!" he said aloud that the people, who were in the parking lot, looked at us with suspicion.

I looked around the parking lot, embarrassed by his action. "Lower your voice down, you idiot." I hissed, trying to suppress my annoyance.

"If you promise me you won't call, I'm not going to continue to SHOUT!" he said, and shouted the last word.

I looked at him with annoyance and nodded in agreement. I reached towards him to grab my phone, but he leans away.

"Not until you say you promise..." he said and smirked with amusement.

"God... How old are you, four?" I said, annoyed. "I promise..."I added, looking at him sternly. "Now, Can I get my phone back?" I asked after.

"Here..." He said, handing me back my phone slowly with a grin on his face.

When I already got my phone in hand, I looked at him with annoyance and disgust for a moment before I walked away towards the bus. As I sat there, waiting for my stop, debating whether to contact Adam, but Nick's words ring clear in my ear. I click the 'create new message' and typed away. He did say 'not to call' not 'not to text' him.

Adam, I'm sorry to bother you. But, someone informed me that they saw you talking to the people working for my father. Is that true? I hope not...please reply back -Nat.

I let out a huge sigh as I hesitantly pressed the send button. For the rest of the drive to my stop, I keep on checking my phone, itching for his reply. As I reached my stop, I never did get any texts. I sighed and I walked towards my apartment building feeling a little down and less hopeful. When I stop in front of my apartment building, I stood in a halt, surprise to see a smirking Rob leaning beside the entrance door to the building.

"Hey, what took you so long?" He asked, standing straight and walked towards me.

"Wha..what are you doing here?" I said, still shocked to see him.

"I did tell you I'm going to ask permission for you this Friday..." he stated, saying like it was obvious.

"You were serious?" I asked, stunned.

"You though it was a joke? Ouch! I'm offended..." he said, playing hurt.

I looked at him, nodding my head in disagreement, a playful smirk slowly forming. "Whatever, Sanders..." I said, and walked around him to get to the entrance door.

"Wait, aren't you going to invite me in?" He asked, walking fast to block my way.

"Now, why would I do that? I already know your intentions and I don't what that happening..."I said, my voice sounding a little harsh, even for me. Though I am bitter, I'm not heartless.

He stood there for a moment, thinking about what to replay, but closed his mouth when the words sink in. He looked hurt and dejected. I opened my mouth, trying to tell him I was just joking until someone interrupted us.

"Robert? What are you doing here?" My mom said, walking towards us with groceries on both hands.

"Mom!" I said, surprised, and then walked towards her. "Here, let me help you..." I added, reaching for the groceries on her right hand.

"Oh... let me have those too, Mrs. Hale..."Rob said right after me, reaching for the other bag on my mother's left hand.

"Thank you kids..." My mom said, smiling and let go of the groceries. "Come on in you two... What were you doing standing out here anyways?" she added, walking ahead.

"Well... Natalie here wouldn'... Aw!"Rob started but flinched away as I stomped his foot.

"Are you alright?"Mom said, looking back at us.

"We're okay, mom. He just tripped on himself." I answered, and nudged Rob with my hips as he hissed in pain.

When my mom continued walking again, I glared at Rob for a moment before I paced on forward. He got himself collected and followed me. As we reached inside the apartment, we went directly to the kitchen to put the groceries. I ignored Rob's presence but failed when my mother asked us to go away so that she could prepare dinner. We both wondered towards the living room for a moment until I excused myself to change. Though I didn't offer him to come with me, Rob walked behind me and entered my room as I did.

"Wow. Nice place..." he commented as he looked around and crashed in my bed.

I glared at him for a moment and spoke. "Can I have a moment for myself? I said I was going to change..."I stated sternly.

"Oh. Right. Sorry." He said quickly as he half ran out of my room, blushing, and then closed the door.

I looked at the close door, smirking at his actions. Then, I quickly changed into my comfort clothes, a plain white shirt and jogging pants, and tied my hair up, which I never do unless I'm at home. When I finished dressing up and opened the door, I bumped into something that made me staggered backwards. Then, a warm hand gripped my shoulders to settle me. I looked up, shocked to see Rob standing there only a few inches away from me.

"Wha..what are you doing out here?" I asked surprised. My heart started beating fast.

"I was waiting for you..."he answered, his lips twitched into a smirk.

I looked away from him to gather my thoughts and cleared my throat. "Right... Let's go back to the living room." I said, and then pulled myself away from his grip.

As we walked towards the living room, I took deep breaths to calm my frantic heart. For I moment, I was wondering why was my heart was beating fast in the first place. Then, I remembered Rob's face inches away from me and his strong yet calm grip on my shoulders, my heart started picking up, thumping fast again. I shook my head, trying to clear the image away to keep myself calm. What was happening to me?

When we reached the living room, mom asked me to help her with something. It helped me get away from Rob long enough to calm myself and clear my thoughts. As mom finished cooking, mostly from my help, I called Rob, who was in the living room watching television, for dinner. The dining room was quite for a while until mom cleared her throat and asked the one thing I hope she forget, but it was an obvious first question anyway.

"So, Rob. What are you doing here?" my mom asked.

"Oh... I am here to..." he started and trailed off to glance at me for a moment. "I'm here because I'm going to ask permission to take your daughter out, Mrs. Hale." He bluntly said without shame.

I coughed, almost chocking at the food I ate and swallowed it hard. "Wow. Way to drop the news..."I said sarcastically as I reach for my glass of water.

"That's very forward of you, Robert..."My mother said, her lips twitching into a smile. "It would be my pleasure to give that time of the day for you to take my daughter out." She added.

"Mom... really..." I said, after drinking the water, my face flushed.

"Why not? Robert here is a gentleman and he came all the way here just to ask me for permission..."She said dreamily, smiling.

"Earth to mom... You know I don't..." I started.

"Sheesh! Not another word... you are going... you need it." Mom interjected, stopping me from saying anything unnecessary.

Rob was silent throughout the conversation, eating his food, and glancing from my mother to me with a smile. It was becoming an entertainment to him, and it made me annoyed to see that I was losing in front of him, betrayed by my own mother. I let out a huge sigh and gave in. Rob saw my reaction and chuckled. I glared at him for a moment and drop my gaze to put all my attention to the food in front of me.

After dinner, Rob hangs around for a while, talking to my mom about himself. He talked about his father's business and his mother's restaurant. For a moment, I felt ashamed that I knew too little about the people around me, that I was caught up by my own problems and couldn't take a minute to ask them about themselves. So I sat there, listening to them talk and learn a thing or two about the man who wanted to take me out for dinner. Good thing he isn't the other Sanders that already knew too much; that way, maybe I can be someone who I want to be without the past ruining it.

-----

Hey lovely readers... here's chapter 12... Thank you for those who have supported this story this long, and I appreciate that you give the time to read it. Thank you so much!

So... I've cooled down the thrill on this chapter and focused on something else... the invisible love triangle between Natalie, Nick and Rob... who do you think is the him I was refering to in the preface? the one who made her change.. :D

Tell me what you think and comment away. Please vote if you like the chapter.

Til next chapter...

...Melon Diaries...