Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight (Julian)

"A-Adam?" I choked.

I couldn't believe it. It was really Adam, standing right there, covered in blood, but completely and utterly alive. I could hear his heart beating like crazy in his chest, his adrenaline pumping as he started down the aisle toward us. I dropped the bouquet and started to go to him, but Wulf shoved me back hard, snarling at me before he turned back to Adam, who wasn't about to let up.

"Orion!" Wulf shouted for help, but when he turned, Orion was bolting for the back exit. Wulf stared after him, baffled before he whipped back around, baring his fangs. He went for Adam and my heart jumped, beating hard and faster in my chest.

"Adam! No!" I started to leave the alter, but my ankle went to the side and I fell because if the heels. I hissed in pain as soon as I hit the floor and started to get back up, lifting my eyes just in time to see Wulf reach Adam, both of them stopping in front of each other.

"You were dead," Wulf accused hatefully, eyes flaring, "I saw you! I saw you die! No human could possibly survive that kind of attack, and without being scarred no less!" Adam glared at Wulf for a full minute in silence and then I saw it. His eyes went from hazel to red and I felt the blood drain from my face as Adam parted his lips, baring a pair of sleek white fangs. Wulf blinked, frozen for a moment in surprise.

"He's mine, you bastard." Adam snarled and moved before either Wulf or I could do anything. He grabbed Wulf by the front of his jacket and swung him around onto the floor. Adam got on top of him and shoved Wulf hard in the chin, tilting his head back. Wulf barely had time to squirm and writhe before Adam was burying his mouth against his throat, fangs sinking into his skin.

I couldn't move, couldn't speak as I watched Adam rip open Wulf's throat, feeding heavily on the blood that poured out. Wulf choked and gurgled, grabbing at Adam's arms, but it was no use. Adam was drinking as if he were starved and he wasn't about to let up. My throat closed shut and I felt the tears from earlier welling up again.

I couldn't understand it. How could this of happened? I saw the light leave his eyes. I saw him go limp. I saw him stop breathing!

How could he have been turned? It didn't make any sense!

I saw something blue out the corner of my eye and looked up to see Xed moving through the church doors, going around the pews to get to Newell. My eyes widened to see Xed fully healed, as if he didn't have his body torn to pieces by Declan Calhoun just yesterday. He went to Newell and tore the nails out with ease, untying the blindfold, before lifting Newell into his arms. He stayed for a moment, cradling Newell with a surprising amount of tenderness that caught me off guard before he looked up and met my eyes. I stared at him and he stared back, gone with the blank expression and replaced with one of concern.

He didn't stay long, though, and moved back around for the exit, Newell in his arms. I tried to call out to him, but no sound came out. I turned back in time to see Adam slowly backing away from Wulf, who had long since gone limp in death from the attack. I had never seen anyone of our species die because of being drained, but it was possible. Only possible by a strong pureblood.

And Adam wasn't a pureblood.

Adam swallowed, licking the blood off his lips, wiping the back of his hand across his mouth. He was breathing hard, staring down at Wulf with red eyes before they slowly faded to their natural hazel warmth.

"Adam." I managed at last, my voice sounding small and far away. Adam blinked and quickly turned around. He stared at me in silence before he blinked hard and came toward me. I got on my knees, tilting my head back to stare up at him. One second I would see his face, and the next I saw it the way it had been when he died. Back and forth, back and forth until my vision was blurry with tears.