Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Julian)

"That's so cool! I should've known by the car. His car is amazing. But why is he dressed like he rides a bike? Think he owns a bike too?"

I didn't get a response and frowned, turning to see Adam doing his homework on my bed. Since when did he do homework willingly? I mean, he did it more than I did, but still. I was in the middle of talking and suddenly he's breaking out the textbooks and doing his homework?

I know he was feeling like crap today, but he didn't need to be mean to me just because he wasn't feeling great.

I went over to the bed and flopped down, rolling onto my back so my head was resting on his textbook and I was looking right up into his face. He looked so tired, I noticed. He was starting to get dark circles under his eyes and he looked like he just wanted to close his eyes and fall face down on top of me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, tilting my head and reaching up to cup his cheeks in my hands. Adam stared at me through half-lidded eyes. I could see the gears turning in his head. He was thinking really hard about something, but he kept his expression blank as he stared at me.

"Nothing." He told me flatly. I frowned, pulling on his cheeks until he pulled away from me, sitting up with one knee drawn up and his arm resting on top of it. I sat up too, legs crossed, eyes locked on him.

"There is something wrong. You've been acting weird all day and you said you were doing better, but you look like you're getting worse. Are you sick?" I asked. Adam looked away for the longest time, saying nothing. I gave up trying to push him into talking about himself and decided to go back to talking about Hunter.

The guy was freaking amazing. He was just a regular human being, and yet, he looked like a total badass, like he popped out of the Terminator or something. To think that Newt actually knew someone like that was great. And seeing the two of them together was interesting too because they swapped witty banter in a way that told me they were definitely friends. It wasn't like the arguments Newell had with Vladimir. Those were very obviously hostile, coming from both of them, but Hunter and Newell... I wonder what had happened to them to make them such good friends.

"I wonder if I can convince my mom to have Hunter come with us to the dance instead of one of dad's friends. I bet you all the girls will flock to him." I said, looking down at Adam's textbook. When I didn't get a response, I looked up with a frown to see Adam staring in the opposite direction. I scowled.

"What's your problem? I'm trying to talk to you. Quit ignoring me." I snapped. That got Adam's attention as he looked up, pinning me with a harsh stare that actually gave me a chill.

"He's not coming with us." He stated. I frowned.

"Why not? It's better if he comes instead of one of my dad's friends anyway. They're really strict--"

"I don't care. I don't want you anywhere near that guy." Adam replied firmly. I stared at him, baffled for a moment. Why the heck was he acting like this? After a few minutes, it dawned on me why Adam had been acting even weirder ever since we walked through the door.

"Are you jealous?" I asked, surprised. I waited for him to deny it, but he just stared at me intensely.

"So what if I am?" He returned, his voice an eerie monotone. I felt heat fill my cheeks as I shifted a little on the bed.

"You don't need to be. Hunter's, like, way older than me." I added, making Adam's eyes narrow considerably in irritation. It was both scary and oddly thrilling. I was actually waiting for him to pin me to the bed or something.