Chapter Six

Chapter Six (Adam)

Something was wrong with Julian.

At first, I thought it was the comment Kipp had made during lunch, which was completely uncalled for. I could tell it had made Julian uncomfortable and he got that look on his face that he was blaming himself for something, again. It was beginning to piss me off, but more worried me than anything; of course, I didn't say that out loud.

But then as the day dragged on, I could tell Julian wanted to talk to me. He kept looking at me during our last period like he just wanted to get up and come over to me, but there was just so much going on around us.

By the time the bell rang, I was leaving the classroom and waiting outside for him so we could go home together when someone bumped into my shoulder. I snapped my gaze around to see an unfamiliar face, a really boring one. A lot about the guy said he was boring and plain. His dark hair was slightly spiked and frosted blonde, his eyes a vivid shade of green behind black glasses that matched his pretty lame, boring clothes. He looked like the nerdy type who did his homework and followed the rules.

"Watch it." I told him sharply. He blinked as if just noticing who I was and looked up at me. I frowned at the way he looked at me like he knew me. He looked into the classroom, eyes widening as if he saw someone he knew, then looked back at me.

"Hey," He said in an almost monotone voice, "Is your name Adam by any chance?" I frowned at him, eyes narrowed. He was a new student, no wonder I didn't know him, but it'd be so easy to forget he even existed.

"What's it to you?" I returned, hoping he'd catch the hint and leave me alone. Despite being totally plain, there was something about him that bothered me. I think it was the way he looked at me like he knew me. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. But I really didn't care for him. All I cared was getting to Julian and finding out what made him so depressed today. He was fine when we left the house and he suddenly looked upset the rest of the day.

"You're friends with Julian," The guy said, this time making me look at him with narrowed eyes, "Are you waiting for him?"

"Do I know you?" I asked, frowning. The guy blinked for a second, then shook his head, leaning back on his heels to peer back into the classroom where he caught sight of Julian walking away from the teacher, who probably held him back to lecture him about forgetting his homework-- again.

"No," He said to me, then looked up at me again, frowning, "My name's Declan Calhoun. I like photography."

"Good for you." I replied dryly. He wrinkled his nose a little, obviously sensing my sarcasm at long last. I ignored him, though, turning to Julian, who was coming out of the classroom. He saw me first, then caught sight of Declan and his eyes widened.

"You!" He announced rather loudly. I frowned at that and looked at Declan, who looked around, then mouthed me as he pointed to himself. Julian scowled and reached out without another word, grabbing Declan by the front of his shirt, jerking him forward a step.

"You have a lot of explaining to do." He ground out, making Declan blink owlishly.

"What the hell is going on?" I demanded, making Julian wince and let go of Declan instantly before he turned to me.

"You come with me. Both of you, We need to go somewhere private to talk." Julian added, grabbing both Declan and I and dragging us down the hallway. I scowled at that, but followed anyway with no other choice. We got some pretty weird looks and I also caught sight of Walter eyeing us suspiciously before he wheeled toward the exit of the school. Julian finally brought us out behind the school where we usually met in the mornings when it wasn't snowing, which is what it was doing today, so I damn well hoped that Julian didn't expect us to stand here all day.