Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five (Julian)

I woke up with the worst headache ever.

Okay, maybe not the worst, but the second worst headache ever. I could feel it throbbing in my temples and I wanted to just roll over and go back to sleep, but there was too much light in the room. I finally forced my eyes to open, grimacing as the sunlight that poured in through the hotel windows assaulted my vision. I blinked to clear it as I rolled over onto my stomach. I was buried beneath thick, warm blankets, and everything was so soft, but I couldn't stay here.

I could remember what happened and it made my heart clench.

Daimonas. They took Daimonas, but where? Was he in the other room? In another room? Was he even in the same building? What were they doing to him? Surely they wouldn't kill him after hunting him down for so long. If he was still alive, I could save him. I owed him that much for trying to save my life, and actually succeeding a few times. I wasn't leaving this place without him.

I propped myself up on my hands and knees, hissing past clenched teeth at the throbbing in my temples. I forced myself to crawl out of bed, bare feet touching the floor. I wobbled a little and almost fell, then managed to catch my balance and make my way to the window.

I grimaced, looking out over the city of Detroit, the sun already up and shining blindingly bright in my face, reflecting off the glass and metal of other buildings. I turned away, rubbing at my eye, then pulling up short when I saw a cart sitting in the room with a tall glass of blood and a gallon beside it to refill. I narrowed my eyes and walked up to it cautiously. I looked at the door, then at the glass.

I picked it up and sniffed, then stuck my finger in before licking the tip. I waited for the burn of blood wine, but much to my relief, it was regular O positive blood. I downed the whole glass, licking it off my lips when I heard voices from outside my room. I frowned, looking up as I made my way to the door, pausing to listen.

"You took care of the demon then?" Orion's voice asked.

"Yes," Ikuto's voice replied, "He's safe in my room. I've hooked him up to the incubator so that when he wakes up within a week's time, he shouldn't be able to escape. Are you going to uphold your end of the deal?"

"Certainly. Just give the others time to realize their precious blonde baby is gone."

"I don't like the sound of that," Wulf's voice jumped in, his voice hard, "If they come here, they're going to cause trouble. And last time they got away with the kid. He's mine. You promised--"

"Oh, calm your tits," Orion snorted, "Don't give them so much credit. I know exactly how they're going to break in. A stereotypical band wagon. We just need to set everyone up at their posts, and keep Vladimir out of the building. He's the one we need to worry about."

"What about the merman?" Wulf demanded.

"Calhoun will have that covered." Ikuto answered confidently.

"So why do I have a really bad feeling?" Wulf asked dryly.

"You shouldn't," Orion retorted, "Quit worrying and go in there and please your bride. Ikuto and I have the rescue squad covered." There was a long pause, then I heard footsteps coming toward the door. Panic swelled in my throat and I looked around quickly, trying to find something to defend myself with, but they had apparently already planned for me to think this way. So I did the next best thing and ran to the other side of the room, putting the bed between me and the door.

The lock clicked and the door opened, allowing Wulf to walk in and shut the door quickly behind him. Then he pulled up short when he saw me standing on the other side of the room. A smile slowly crept onto his face.