chapter 19

On our first day in North Carolina we went to the park that we used to love. We each sat in a squeaky swing and jumped off at a height that could have easily broken our ankles if we landed on a certain angle. The rest of that day we took a nap.

On the second day B and I drove for a few minutes to see her grandparents. I got the uncomfortable boyfriend questions even though I'm not her boyfriend. But I guess I'm close enough and I deserve the questions. We then drove further to my grandpas house. B got the girlfriend questions from my grandpa who thinks he is too funny for us. She deserved the questions.

Now we are on the third day and we are sitting out on the porch eating lunch in the shade when B spots Dylan's fixing flowers in his old yard, where his mom clearly still lives. B just stares at his mom, Lisa, digging holes to plant many flowers that she has by her side.

I know B sees her even though she isn't saying anything. I think she's just a little frozen in her spot considering she hasn't seen his mom in almost 5 years. It's just a shock, I get that. But she won't take her eyes off her.

I try to get her attention, "B?" No response. I say it again: "B?"

She blinks a few times and turns her head to me. She licks her pink lips, "yeah?"

"You okay?" I ask. What am I saying? Of course she's not okay. Her best friend killed himself and she thinks his mom blames her. I've seen B brakes down a couple times, none anytime recently, but every time I've seen it happen, but one, it was because of Dylan. The look in her eyes right now looks like she might brake down.

It's like eating at night after a day of starvation or putting on dry clothes after you had to run home in the rain without an umbrella. It's the feeling you get once you've been in withdrawals. But now it's like B gets a sort of connection with Dylan again. Now that she has it, I don't think she knows what to do.

"I-" she purses her lips then sighs. "I just- I just don't know." I lock my eyes on her face, her knuckles crack.

"B-"

"You know when you brake up with someone," she says in such a soft voice, "and you've only been broken up for a little while and you see them smiling and laughing, and you brake on the inside?"

"Yeah," I say even though I've never had that feeling about someone. Of course I have been really into a few girls before but I've always been the one to end it.

"That's what seeing Lisa feels like." B looks back at the woman planting flowers like she struck gold and is speechless because of all the imaginable things she could do with the money.

"Do you want to go inside?" I suggest. Honestly I don't know what would be best for her at this point: to go inside and not look at Lisa anymore or to stay out here and let her get this out of her system, if that's even possible anyway.

She shakes her said, then speaks, "no." Then she stands and I know she's going to go talk to her. She's going to walk over there thinking that talking to Lisa will be no big deal, but once she comes within 10 feet, she'll be speechless.

"B-" I get up after her once she's halfway down the driveway.

"Hayes, stay here."

"Mhm, let me think about that-no."
I know she rolls her eyes, I just can't see it. We cross the street and she makes sure to stay in front of me, her steps become smaller and he pace is slower.

Right before the start of Dylan's- well- Lisa's driveway, she stops.

"B," I whisper hoping to god Lisa cannot here me. "It's just a driveway, no big deal."