chapter 17

Bradie
I'm not one hundred percent sure why I would drive a total of two hours just to see Hayes for a day. Not even a full day either, just a couple of hours.
I guess it has to do with the fact that seeing him for those couple of hours outweighs the hour trip I take alone and the hour trip alone back.

But I just think about those three months we get to spend exploring foreign places together. I get this giddy feeling just imagining being snuggled up next to him every night. And holding hands while walking streets around people we don't even know the names of because that's all I really want. Just to spend quality time with him.

But here I am outside of Tyler's dorm room already regretting this decision I'm making. I knock on the door twice and my whole body tenses up waiting for my ex-boyfriend to answer. If I'm lucky, his roommate will answer and I won't talk to him. If the universe wants to hate me, he will answer and we will talk.

With my luck; a boy with blond hair, undone, pulls back the door and I stare Tyler dead in the eye. "Oh," he coughs, "hey."

I smile just a slight without showing my teeth. "Hi," I croak and the way it comes out makes me sound so weak.

"Come on in," Tyler opens the door wider and reveals his room that I haven't been in sense October. He says it in such a way that makes him sound like he's not even phased by my being here. Like it happens everyday. "So, uh," he runs his fingers threw his hair like he usually does, just like Hayes does. "What are you doing here?"

I almost sit down on his bed, Tyler notices and nods his head. I sit. "Well I wanted to say I'm sorry."

"Uhhh," his eyebrows pull together and he looks around the room. "For?"

"The way I broke up with you. And then just completely forgetting you afterwards."

He sighs, "Bradie what are you doing here?"

"I miss you."

His jaw drops and it doesn't make this situation more comfortable. "Bradie, we dated for two months and it's been, what, 7 months now?"

"And that means I can't miss you?"

"It's a little far fetched don't you think?"

"I never said I missed you in a relationship way. I miss us talking and falling asleep together and going out for lunch. I miss spending time with you. And even though we weren't ever friends; I miss being friends with you."

Tyler finally sits down in a wheelie chair across from me. I stare him dead in the eye and I think because of Hayes I have much for confidence in myself to the point where I'm able to have this conversation and look him in the eye.

"Don't you have a boyfriend?" Tyler asks.

"Jesus Christ Tyler. First: he's not my boyfriend," that line hurts. "Second: I'm aloud to have guy friends," that line is true. I don't do that 'my boyfriend says I can't hangout or talk to any guys bullshit.' I am my own person and I will talk to whomever I want. Hayes doesn't control that or me.

"So that's why you're here. To be my friend."

I swear he can see my eyes plead, "if that isn't too much to ask."