10. Ceremony

10. The Ceremony: Xander's Pov

QOTC- What day would you prefer for me to update on?

"Sweetheart," I try kissing her cheek, but she flinches away from me. "Say something, I don't want you to be mad at me."

She doesn't open her mouth to speak. "I'm sorry." I whisper in her ear.

A tear trails down her cheek, but she doesn't move to wipe it away. "Please say something, baby."

Charlotte sniffles and slowly wraps her arms around me. "Do I have to take it again?" her voice is small and broken.

"No." I answer, rubbing her back. She didn't speak after we left the doctor's office. I thought that she was mad that I had her take the shot.

For two full hours she was screaming in pain from the Lycanthrope being injected into her bloodstream. I felt horrible for not being able to take away her pain. "It still hurts." she whispers. There's no bandage over where the needle punctured her delicate skin, but veins surrounding the spot are darker and more visible. Her eyes are now brighter, too.

"I'm sorry." I say once more. I keep her in my embrace and inhale her intoxicating scent. She doesn't smell like coconut or vanilla like how most men say their mates smell like, Charlotte smells fresh.

"At least your fever's gone." I say trying to cheer her up.

*** (One hour later)

"What are you doing?" I ask looking up from my papers. I see Charlotte smiling down at my phone. Since she had nothing to do, I handed her my phone and let her do whatever wanted on it.

"I beat your high score." she's solely concentrated on the game she's playing.

"Impossible. I'm the best at Doodle Jump." I scoff.

Charlotte tilts her head and looks at me with a confused expression. "You high score was two." she giggles. I laugh along with her, happy that she's back in a good mood.

Flashback

"No!" Charlotte screams as she quickly backs away from me. Tears rapidly fall down her cheeks and she clutches her arm in pain.

She ends up in a cornered against two walls with Doctor Kale and I standing cautiously in front of her. Charlotte's eyes are practically glowing as the Lycanthrope makes its way around her body. She flinches every time I reach out to her and screams every time Doctor Kale and I take a step closer to her. "No!" The mini heart monitor attached to her chest beeps faster and faster.

I look at her and think of ways to get her to clam down. "No, no, no, no." she repeats as she tries to wiggle out of my embrace. She screams when I touch her arm and her knees buckle.

"Everything hurts." she sobs once she finally recognizes who I am. Whimpers escape her mouth and she breaks down in my arms.

Flashback Over

"Two of the Alphas and their Lunas are coming tomorrow." I tell her. I already have extra guards assigned to her during the 'Alpha Only' meetings. Most likely her old Alpha will be here so I can beat the pull out of him. The council knows about the situation and I have full permission to attack Charlotte's abusers as long as I don't kill them; yet.

"Where are they staying?"

"In the guest house. We will be staying there with them."

"Same rooms?"

***

Charlotte's Pov

I nervously look around and search for Alpha Jones. I'm not sure if he's coming today or tomorrow, but I'm already waiting for him to leave. "Calm down." Xander chuckles beside me.