Chapter eighteen: How could I forget her?

I haven’t moved from my bed for like two hours now. I couldn’t stop thinking about Bryce and Rob. I seriously suck at love. Not that I’ve had any experience with it. My life is a mess!

            I was lost deep in my thoughts when a loud knock on the door interrupted me. Ugh! Which one will it be this time? I thought. I stood up and went to open the door.

“Can you please get-“  I stopped when I saw that it was neither of the people I thought would be. To my surprise it was Carla. I had completely forgotten about her. It was so great to see her!

“Carla!” I screamed and wrapped my arms around her. You probably don’t remember Carla, right? Carla is the one who takes care of us. I guess you’re wondering what Robinette does. Robinette’s the owner of the orphanage. She just shouts at us. Unlike Robinette, Carla actually cares about all of us. She’s completely human. Mom chose her to look after us and has been training her so she can deal with us ‘freaks’.

“Taylor! I tried to come as fast as I could when your mom told me but I was in one of the trainings. Kyle covered Bliss but didn’t tell me why she wasn’t there.” She said while hugging me back.

“Who’s Kyle?” I said letting go.

“Oh, you don’t know Kyle? I thought you did! Kyle is your mom’s husband. So technically he’s your stepdad.” Carla replied.

“Oh…” this was the only thing I thought of saying.

“Look what I brought you…” She said in a singing tone as she held up a bag I didn’t know she was holding.

“Carla, I love you!” I said hugging her again.

            She brought me my favourite cookies. They were these little pink cookies with some kind of guava paste on top of them. They tasted like freaking heaven. Of course, they were home-made. Carla is an amazing cook so whenever she leaves we have to settle for Robinette’s horrible cooking. Trust me, it was pretty bad.

            I jumped on the bed munching on my cookies and Carla sat right next to me. She is 25 so I feel like she’s an older sister to me. There is no doubt that I could tell her anything. I remember when I was younger I used to pull pranks on Robinette and she would be my partner in crime.

“I saw a new kid in the empty room. Did he come with you?” she asked in curiosity.

“Yeah. He’s name is Bryson.” I said in a flat tone.

“He’s cute, huh?” that’s when I realized she could help me with this crap.

“He kissed me. And I kissed him back. He thinks that by kissing a person you automatically become boyfriend and girlfriend. He thought Robert was my boyfriend. And now he’s jealous because Rob likes me too. And Rob and I had a fight. The Bryce tried to apologize by writing me a poem and now I don’t know what to do.” I said spilling everything. Surely she would know what to do.

“OMG! Rob likes you?! Why does he decide to tell you now? I mean… you and Bryce would make a great couple. And Robert… He’s been your friend almost your whole life.”  I thought she was going to give advice.  Oh well…

“I guess he wanted to say it before Bryson and I got together. Not saying that we will. Wait… Do you really think we make a good couple?” I said the last part with a smile on my face.

She gasped and said, “So you really like him?” oh god…

“I don’t know… I’ve never liked someone before. How is it supposed to feel?”

“I don’t know. I guess you just know. How do you feel when you’re around him?” See, now she’s helping.

“I kinda have this weird feeling in my tummy.” There’s a word for that.

“You mean butterflies?” there we go.

“Yeah that.”

“Oooooooooohhh… Tay is in love!” she said in a singing tone. “TAYLOR DUBOIS-“  she started screaming but I covered her mouth.

“Shut up! I don’t want him to know! Or Robert!” she could behave like a little kid when she wanted.

“Fine…”

“Okay, now help me! What am I supposed to do? Do I tell him? Do I accept his apology?” I said hoping she would help me, not say something stupid and useless.

“Gee, I don’t know…” she said sarcastically. “Duh!” she then added.

“Fine, but, what do I say?”

“Easy! Just go up to him and say ‘My love, I forgive you. Don’t you ever leave my side again!’” She said in a bad imitation of a dramatic voice.

 I smacked her across the arm and she automatically started laughing. I joined in. I have to admit her laugh is too damn contagious.

“Okay, okay. How about this?” she said regaining her breath. “Something like ‘Listen Bryce, I really like you and I would like to apologize for the way I acted.’”

Finally! Something useful! I thought.

“Now that sounds better! But, do I just go up to him and say that?” I wasn’t kidding when I said I suck at love.

“No, you idiot! First you got be alone. You don’t want Robert to ruin it for you. Then you can do it. Say something like ‘can we talk?’ or ‘I gotta talk to you.’ Don’t start stuttering.” I reached down in my bag to get another cookie. I’ve eaten like ten so far.

“Are you gonna keep eating?” I just shrugged and kept eating.

“So, when should I do it?” I said after I swallowed.

“Right now! C’mon! Stand up. Wipe those cookie crumbs from your mouth and go.” I did as she told. “But wait. Let me fix your hair.” I looked in the mirror and it was a mess. She took my long hair and braided it to the side. I thanked her and walked out the door.

I was thinking of what I could say to him. He was so easy to talk to but this time it was different. This time I had to express my feelings. Something I almost never do. It’s not that I don’t want to. I just never get to do it.

What if he asks me out? I’ve never in my life gone on a date before. I’ll totally make a fool of myself. I don’t know how I’m supposed to act. Okay, calm down. I’ll ask Carla later. I thought.

Before I knew it I was in front of his room. I took a deep breath and organized my thoughts. It was the moment of truth. I knocked on his door and waited for him to answer.