Chapter eight: People change

I woke up on a bed.

"Sleeping Beauty finally awakes!" I heard Bryson say from somewhere next to me. After a moment of confusion, I realized I was in the prison/mansion room's bed. I groaned and tried to sit up, but Bryson gently pushed me down,

"Not so fast. You still need to rest."

I smiled, "Is that my Prince Charming caring for me?"

He chuckled, "Maybe..." I wasn’t sure if he was flirting with me because I wasn’t exactly the "Socializing" kind in my old schools, but thinking about the possibilities that he was made me smile.

This was crazy! Why was he being so nice and flirty with me now when he had been so rude and mean before? Did my sister put some kind of voodoo on him? I shook my head and stood up, which was pretty stupid because a wave of nausea washed over me.

"Whoa, steady there." he whispered in my ear, supporting me by grabbing my elbow.

 I shook myself off and walked to the fridge, grabbing myself a bottle of water. "Why are you being so nice now?" I asked him.

He shrugged and looked up to the ceiling, "When you were sleeping... Or whatever you were doing there, I had the chance to study you. Like, figure you out. And, I realized you'd been through a lot of stuff that I'd never understand... And, I just thought I was being real mean to you, so I'm trying to be nice now..."

           I smiled and hugged him, which kind of caught him off guard because he stumbled back a bit before hugging me back.

            Wait. Just a moment ago he said he studied me and realized that I’ve been through a lot. He can read people! It’s much better than my power.