Chapter 23

“I’m really sorry about your baby Sadie” I said. 

“Thanks” Sadie said. 

“Do you need anything” I asked. 

“No, Jenny has made sure I had everything. Now I’m just tired Lydia, that’s all” Sadie said in a sad monotonous voice. 

“I’m here if you need anything” I said. 

“Thank you” Sadie said. 

“If you don’t mind, I’ll just sit here with you” I said. 

“That’ll be fine” Sadie said. And that’s what I did. I just sat,  not speaking, not moving, just sitting. Sadie fell asleep eventually. I quietly left the room. 

“Is she ok” Jenny asked as I quietly shut the door. 

“Yeah she’s fine, she just needs some rest” I said. 

“Ok good. Well listen, I gotta go. I have a few things to do today. I won’t be back till later on this evening. Are you gonna be here, or are you leaving?” Jenny said. 

“I’ll be here” I said. 

“Ok well my phone is on, if you need anything. I’ll see you later” Jenny said. 

“See you then” I said.  That wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. So I spent yet another day lying around the house. And then I remembered to call Sweet Red, I mean Presley. I was kind of nervous about it, but I really wanted to talk to her. So I got the paper she wrote her number on, and called her. I listened intently as the phone rang. 

“Hello” she said just as I was about to hang up. 

“Oh hey Presley, it’s me Lydia” I said. 

“Hi Lydia, how are you today” Presley said. 

“I’m great, and you” I said. 

“I’m wonderful. Did you work today” Presley asked. 

“No, I was off. How about you, you gotta work tonight” I said. 

“Yes, I do. I don’t get off till late.  Will you be busy tomorrow Lydia” Presley said. 

“No, I’m off tomorrow too. Why what’s up” I said. 

“I was thinking maybe we could meet up somewhere, just hang some” Presley said. My heart melted, I was dying to hear that for some reason. 

“Yeah most definitely. Tell me when and where, and I’m there. Ha, that rhymed” I smiled. 

“Ok how about tomorrow evening around seven at a place called The Blue Room” Presley said. 

“The Blue Room, never heard of it” I said. 

“It’s like a jazz lounge, that serves delicious food. You’ll love it. How about I pick you up?” Presley said. So this indefinitely a date right?

“Ok, I can do that. What should I wear” I said. 

“Nothing. No I’m just kidding. Umm a something simple, and casual” Presley said. 

“Well alright I’ll see you then” I said. I then gave Presley my address, and then we said good bye. I smiled, this could be going somewhere. Then the house phone rang before I could even hang it up. 

“Hello” I said. 

“Hello yes is this Lydia Weston” a woman’s voice said. 

“Yes this is she”