Chapter 19

I love waking up in his bed. It makes me feel like we're normal, this is a thing normal people do. Except, Marshall isn't here. I roll over in the bed to make sure he's not there. The sheets are pulled back on his side. I sit up, and just now realize that I'm completely naked. Quickly I pull the sheet up to my chest, blushing wildly as I remember last night.
I lean over the side of the bed and grab his t shirt from his side. I pull it on and then get out of the bed, locating my underwear in the spot where he pulled it off last night. I step into them and then let his shirt cover me. Remembering that he's not in the room I call for him.

"Marshall?" I say loudly, getting no response.

I make my way down the hall towards the living room, it's dark in the apartment even though the sun is out. He's standing in the kitchen, staring at something on the counter. I walk over to him and kiss his bicep, barely getting his attention.

"Babe." I say, rubbing his forearm.

He turns his head to look at me and then kisses me lightly on the lips.

"What's that?" I ask him, tilting my chin at what I now know is an envelope on the counter.

"It came this morning." He says, his voice is low and I'm getting a little worried. "It's from the law offices at the prison in Ohio. Where Jon is."

"Did you open it?" I ask him, looking at the letter on the counter.

"No." He says quietly. "I'm not sure I want to know what it says."

"It looks important." I tell him, holding his hand. "I think you should read it."

"It's probably something stupid asking me to go see him." He says, shaking his head once. "I don't care."

"Marshall-"

"Don't." He stops me, picking up the letter. I'm taken a bit by surprise when he puts it in my hands. "You open it."

"I really don't think I should-"

"Please." He cuts me off again, looking at me with expectant eyes.

Reluctantly, I open it up. There's a single page inside and I unfold it. He's waiting for me, to read it. I'm feeling the pressure now and I'm nervous every for what this piece of paper might say. I turn my gaze down and begin to read it to myself.

"Out loud." He prompts, leaning against the counter.

I take a deep breath and then start reading again, out loud this time.

To Marshall Bruce Mathers,
It is with regret that we at the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown, inform you that Jonathon Clarke Mathers has been charged and convicted of murder in the first degree and has been sentenced to be punished by death, effective immediately. Your presence has been requested to be witness on December 12th at our execution site in Lucasville, to be with him in his final moments. If you are interested in attending, please contact us by December 5th-

"Enough." He says, silencing me. "I don't want to hear any more."

"Marshall I think you should really look at this next part." I skim over it, and my pulse increases.

"I don't care!" He shouts at me and I jump at the forcefulness of his voice.

"Just look at it." I pressure him, holding it out to him. "You'll care about this, trust me."

"I won't." He fights back. "I couldn't care less about anything that happens to him."

"Marshall-"