Chapter 10 (part 2)

I basically sprint up to the house, the lights are on. I can see in the window that Thatcher is sitting watching tv. I climb the steps and push on the door. I slam it and lock it behind me. Thatcher looks over from the couch and he has a horrified expression on his face. I run over and sit on the couch beside him, falling into his chest and crying.

"What the hell happened?" He asks with concern, folding his arm around to rub my shoulder.

"I think Marshall's cheating on me." I say through my sobs, the words taste awful in my mouth. I can't believe I'm even saying this out loud.

"What?" He couldn't hide the shock in his voice even if he wanted to. "Why in the seven hells would you think that?"

"Because I went over there to tell him about the fighting thing and then I saw him-" I bury my face in his shirt that's now drenched with tears. "There was this girl and she was all touchy with him and I...I don't..."

"Okay okay." He says and pulls me into a hug. "Well what did he say?"

"He was saying that usual bullshit guys say about 'it's not what it looks like' and 'I can explain.'" I say, sniffling fiercely and trying to get my breathing under control.

"Are you sure?" He asks, confused. "Darlin' that just doesn't sound like him."

"I saw it." I shut my eyes and more tears wedge their way out. "I just can't understand how he could do this..."

"We don't know yet Rach, just focus on calming down." He pulls the blanket he was using around me and rubs my back. "Just breathe, we can figure this out."

I breathe pretty well for a couple minutes and then a flash of them comes unwelcome into my thoughts. Water tumbles out of my eyes like an avalanche, and Thatcher squeezes me lovingly.

"Everything he said was complete crap." I cry to him, my eyes burning. "He didn't mean any of it."

"Come on Rach don't say that." He says, I can't place his emotions. "Just breathe honey, if you still hate him in a couple days then fine, but I think your just mad and confused."

"I'm so-"

My sentence is cut short by frantic knocking on the door. I lift my head off of Thatcher and then I hear his voice coming from outside.

"Rachel, I know you're there!" He yells through our wooden door, knocking fiercely. "Talk to me dammit!"

Just hearing him hurts me. Thatcher and I are frozen on the couch as the shouting persists.

"What do we do?" He whispers to me, careful not to make any noise.

"Let me talk to you!" Marshall's yells again. "Please Rachel don't leave me like this!"

"Get him out of here." I tell Thatcher. "I can't see him."

Thatch gets up and makes his way towards the door. He looks back at me and I nod at him, I need Marshall to leave. I have to think. After a deep breath Thatch opens the door.

"Where is she?" Marshall presses, I cover myself even more with the blanket.

"She doesn't want to see you." Thatch says coldly.

"I just want to talk to her." Marshall sounds desperate, and right now I don't care.

"I don't care what you want, I care what she wants. And she doesn't want to see you." Thatcher's tone isn't one to be messed with.

I try to keep my crying to a minimum, I don't want him to hear me. I can't do this tonight, I don't want anything to do with him tonight.

"This isn't your problem." Marshall hisses. "Rachel!" He calls into the house, unaware that I'm so close by.