Chapter 4

We've been sitting in the church for about thirty minutes. I think it's customary for weddings to start late. At least it's air conditioned in here. Thatch crosses his legs and puts his arm over the back of the pew.

"Mom, I'm bored." He whines in a mock fifteen year old voice.

I give him one of those "really." looks and he cracks up. Everything's a joke with him and I appreciate it. We wait for a few more minutes and then the pastor enters, and Rule follows. We're starting. My insides clench but it doesn't protect me from the imaginary blow I feel when he walks in.
He looks good, no, great. He's skinnier than I remember but still built like a lumberjack. He's in a black suit, and a white shirt with a thin black tie. Very typical for a wedding. A single red rose pinned to his lapel, and Rule's the same. I can't take my eyes off of him even though I'm trying hard not to stare. He hasn't looked over here, and I wonder if he's purposely avoiding me. Before I can think/admire him any more, Thatcher's hand clamps down on my leg.

"Is that him?" He whispers, locking his eyes on Marshall.

"Yeah, that's him." I sigh, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"Like, that one, the blonde." He confirms, never breaking his stare.

"Yes Thatcher that one is him." I laugh once.

"Are you kidding me?" He leans forward and squints his eyes in Marshall's direction.

"What are you doing?" I whisper-yell, trying not to laugh.

"I am looking for a flaw." He says, as if it's a perfectly normal thing to do. "Sugar that may be the most gorgeous man I've ever seen."

"Quit exaggerating." I laugh and pull him back by the shoulder.

Yep, that's right. I say mentally in response to Thatcher's mouth hanging open. I close it for him with my index finger and he just keeps on staring. I shake him slightly, he's gotta stop because eventually Marshall will look over here.

"Girlfriend, if you don't take him back, I will." He teases.

I'm about to respond but I'm cut off by a string quartet. We stand, Ren is about to walk down the aisle. I look across to Rule's side of the seating and immediately pick out his foster parents. Even though they're older now, anyone can tell that they were good looking when they were young. His mother looks stunning, she reminds me of the type of woman that would do housework in stilettos. His dad however, is exactly how Rule described him. And I can tell that he's a man of few words.
It's in this moment that Ren begins her walk. She walks escorted by an older man, but I know he isn't her father. I make a mental note to ask her later. They take it step by step, slowly making their way to the altar. I sneak a peek at Rule, he can't take his eyes off her.
Ren makes her way to where we are and offers me a smile. I return it, and try to keep myself from crying. She's doing it, she's really gonna marry him, and I couldn't be happier.

"Not to alarm you, but honey bunch up there is giving me the death stare." Thatch whispers to me.

I glance up at the altar and see that Marshall's piercing blue eyes are glaring Thatcher. I quickly turn away in fear that he might start looking at me. Thatch can handle himself, but I don't have as much trust in myself as I do in him.

"You may be seated." Announces the pastor. "We are gathered here today to celebrate the Union of Rule Keaton Cox and Renée Juliette Adams..."

I take this time to look around at everyone that's here. I see some familiar faces from the gym on Rule's side. Cash offers me a discrete wave and a smile, careful not to distract from the marriage unfolding before us. I continue looking, and turn around slightly to see behind me. And my stomach drops when I see him. I grab Thatcher's hand and squeeze it tight.