District 8 - female tribute - Petra

Before the games start they flew us in a hovercraft to special rooms underneath the arena. My stylist, Roman was waiting for me with my uniform and token that they let us bring from our district.

Once Roman has finished with my t-shirt, jacket, cargo pants and boots he hands me my token. When I was leaving for the capitol, my little sister gave me a small patch of green fabric. She told me she had been trying to sew a blanket, but thought that I might need it.

"Where should I keep it?" I ask.

"Try a pocket," he replies sarcastically. "The jacket isn't too thick, so that rules out an extremely cold or extremely warm environment. And the boots are good for running and climbing, so I would expect either rocks or trees you'll need to climb. Otherwise, my job is finished. We still have a few minutes, would you like something to eat or drink?"

"Yeah, can I get a sandwich and some water?" I ask. I know I shouldn't be able to eat because of nerves, but I got this. I've been working hard in the training center and the arena doesn't seem like it'll be too bad.

Almost immediately an avox brings in a tray with a ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of water. I eat quickly, having a full stomach and being fully hydrated has never hurt anyone during the games. After I finish eating we hear an alarm go off.

"It's time," says Roman. He gives me a hug. "Good luck. Just step into the glass tube and it'll take you right up."

When I step inside the door closes and the floor start to raise into the arena. The first thing I see are all the trees. The cornucopia and the tribute platforms are in a small clearing completely surrounded by a forest. The platforms are set up in a semi-circle around the cornucopia and I'm in the middle, right near the mouth of the cornucopia. I so got this.

"Let the 74th Annual Hunger Games begin!" The Announcer says.

The announcer is my cue to go. Lucky me, I'm the first off of my platform. Just as I jump off, I hear the announcer begin counting down from 60. I jumped too early.

My feet hit the ground and I explode and die.