chapter seventeen

Going back to school for Louis is usually always depressing. He misses being at home, with his family and old house, with delicious home-cooked meals and warm hugs to wake up to.

He misses Harry.

Harry was going back home. He lives in in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire. His family lives in Manchester, and he lives in Doncaster. It's frustrating at times to have to drive hours just to get to the people he cares about the most, but at the same time it's nice being independent, being able to live his own life without rules and lack of privacy holding him back.

But Harry.

The air smells of leaves and cool, crisp air. Louis steps out of his car, reluctantly shutting his door and frowning to himself. The only good news is that he will see Niall. He had been missing that boy quite a bit, missing his stupid jokes and his constant laughing.

He opens his trunk and takes his bag out, throwing it over his shoulder before closing the trunk and locking his car. He can see his school, filled with people also carrying their bags back to their rooms after going away for break.

"Welcome back to the real world," Louis murmurs quietly, biting his lip and beginning to walk towards his dorm. He savors the feeling of the wind against his face, biting at his cheeks and causing them flush. He adjusts his satchel over his shoulder and walks, making sure to keep a look out for Niall.

He is almost to his dorm when he feels someone grabbing his shoulder, spinning him around roughly.

"Whoa," he breathes, catching his balance and regathering his bags before looking up to glare at the person who grabbed him. "Why did you do that?!" He huffs, but his breathing stops for a second when he sees who it is.

"Harry," he whispers, before clearing his throat and speaking louder. "Harry! Oh my god, hi! I didn't know, I thought, you know, I thought you were in Holmes Chapel."

"I was," Harry says, smiling slightly and stepping towards Louis. "And now I'm here. Are you okay with that?" 

"What do you mean 'am I okay with it?' Harry, this isn't my college. I mean it is, but I don't, you know, own it. But, like, where are you planning on staying? Outside?"

"Ouch," Harry says, looking away and grabbing his chest. "I thought you would offer your humble abode for me to stay in, just for the night anyway."

"Uhm..." Louis trails off, raising his eyebrows. "Why are you here?"

"I have friends here," Harry responds.

"Really," Louis scoffs. "Now who are these 'friends' you claim to have?"

Harry narrows his eyes. "There are lots of them. Niall, Zayn, Liam, Taylor-"

That's all Louis needs to hear. He turns around and starts to walk towards his dorm again. He can hear Harry walking behind him, his boots loud on the concrete. "Go have fun with Taylor," he huffs, struggling not to trip over his rolling suitcase.

Harry finally catches up, jumping right in front of him so that he can't get past. "Wait, wait, Lou. I need to ask you something."

"It can wait," Louis says.

"No! I need to!"

Louis stops, looks at him, then starts to move again, his short strides not giving him much gain on Harry.

"Louis! It's so important! I have to ask you this or I will forever live my life in question!"

Louis finally stops, and by doing so he runs into Harry.